Why do you like newts/salamanders

Red Eft14

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Senad
Hey,I like these off-topic questions alot since you mostly get to hear peoples opinions on stuff.So the question is why do you guys like caudata's?What makes you like them?How did you get started into the hobby.Since you where small maybe?I'll start by telling my ''story''.Well since I could remember(2-3 years of age) I found a fasanation in animals.I liked mammals,reptiles,amphibians,arachniads,insects,birds,fish.I had animals as a small child but my parents did'nt know anything about animal care.So it was up tp me to learn(killed alot of goldfish :().I first started keeping animals myself(without my parents help) when I was 12.I have a few animals and all are alive until this day(I'am 15 now)Anyways I got into caudata about a year ago when my friend gave me his 2 sick japanese fire bellies and 2 sick paddle tailed newts.They soon died since I got them sick.Anyways I now have 3 diffrent newts(2 marbled newts and 1 red eft).What I like about caudata is there mysterious nature.There patterns.Prehistoric looks.How they are unique.

Interesting topic. Seems we have a bit in common, my newts were not the healthiest when I got them either. A bit too common too see amphibians in rough shape :(

What makes you like them?
I honestly think they have the cutest little faces and shapes. Something about them just screams "love me and take care of me" when I look at them.

How did you get started into the hobby?
The store I worked at brought in some newts to sell. Having them in the store meant that the staff had to learn about their proper care, treatment in the case of illness, and general husbandry.

Unfortunately there were a few of them that didn't adjust too well after shipping or came in in rough shape. I decided that the store wasn't the right place to nurse them back to health and I took the emmaciated ones home. After they were healthy again I didn't have the heart to part with them so they have been with me ever since.

I've always been a big animal person. When I was a kid I had gerbiles, mice, rats, fish dogs and one of those albino frogs that eat everything (african clawed frog?).

That was my first lesson on mixing animals.. bugger ate all our neons one night for us to wake up with a pink frog with neatly lined up blue and red stripes inside his belly...

At the pet store I was allowed to have any fish I wanted... Just couldn't get the critters in those bottom end tanks; crabs, frogs, it those adorable Fb salamanders

Soooo when I grew up (lol) and got the chance I set up a Tropical fish tank where I did a whole lot of expirementing different substrates plants, fish and critters until one day I went to my favorite hole in the wall mom and pop pet shop (located behind a hooters LOL) to have a look around and they had a brand new shipment of cfbn you know those cute adorable newts I couldn't have.under any circumstances when I was a kid... So I asked about them and was totally misinformed! They could live w my tropical fish and eat fish flakes and would be fine as long as there were some floating plants.

I came home with them as a trophy of me being grown up and that parents couldn't tell me no! (lol I have issues to work out :p) yes, the wrong reason to get any pet.

After 2 months one of them wasn't eating and was super thin I found my way to this forum and it was all down (or up) hill from there... I was hooked.

they are sleek and moist and colorful.

they live in dark, mossy places

they are mysterious and have strange double lives

they wink at you

they remind me of what's good about life: eat, grow, mate and lounge in the pool.

I've always been a big animal person. When I was a kid I had gerbiles, mice, rats, fish dogs and one of those albino frogs that eat everything (african clawed frog?).

That was my first lesson on mixing animals.. bugger ate all our neons one night for us to wake up with a pink frog with neatly lined up blue and red stripes inside his belly...

At the pet store I was allowed to have any fish I wanted... Just couldn't get the critters in those bottom end tanks; crabs, frogs, it those adorable Fb salamanders

Soooo when I grew up (lol) and got the chance I set up a Tropical fish tank where I did a whole lot of expirementing different substrates plants, fish and critters until one day I went to my favorite hole in the wall mom and pop pet shop (located behind a hooters LOL) to have a look around and they had a brand new shipment of cfbn you know those cute adorable newts I couldn't have.under any circumstances when I was a kid... So I asked about them and was totally misinformed! They could live w my tropical fish and eat fish flakes and would be fine as long as there were some floating plants.

I came home with them as a trophy of me being grown up and that parents couldn't tell me no! (lol I have issues to work out :p) yes, the wrong reason to get any pet.

After 2 months one of them wasn't eating and was super thin I found my way to this forum and it was all down (or up) hill from there... I was hooked.
Yea I can't have snakes...so that sucks for me lol.My mom did'nt want me haveing newts either but I just got them anyways lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back