Question: My red-spotted newt

hotshot511

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a question concerning my red-spotted newt. I have him in a small tank and I put dirt from my garden in it (it's only temporary, until I can get a more suitable aquarium for it) and there were a few small earth worms in it. I noticed that it had a dirt spot on its head and something around his mouth, possibly dirt as well. Is it possible that it dug up a worm and ate it? I just got my newt about a week ago and I'm still learning about them. Thank you for answering my question.:happy:

Ok. Thank you. He ate half a mealworm 3 or 4 nights ago, and I couldn't get him to eat anymore, so I hope he ate a worm

He could have found a delicious snack in the dift or he could have tried to dig a bit.

How big is your newt?Depending on the size it might have to be in the aquatic stage already.

My newt is approximately 2 or 2.5 inches long.

Haha! That's funny!:lol: I have another question, though. I put a mealworm in for him tonight and he appeared to be quite interested in it. I watched him attempt to hunt it down (after it crawled away) and it fell into the water and died. He still seemed to be interested but I don't know if I should cut it in half, or just leave well enough alone. Any advice?

I know I fed my Red Eft/Eastern Red Spotted Newt a worm today, I had it cut up in to tiny pieces, cleaned and sprinkled with nutirients and the little Newt ate it happily. Although, with Mealworms I'm not sure if you cut them in half, they may die if sliced up, whereas Earthworms just get more squigly thus grabbing the Newt's attention.

I know I fed my Red Eft/Eastern Red Spotted Newt a worm today, I had it cut up in to tiny pieces, cleaned and sprinkled with nutirients and the little Newt ate it happily. Although, with Mealworms I'm not sure if you cut them in half, they may die if sliced up, whereas Earthworms just get more squigly thus grabbing the Newt's attention.

Thanks for the advice. I just left him alone and it was gone when I looked at it the next morning.

Yeaa its still terrestrial.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back