Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to cool the big tank!! (HELP)

parkss86

Reaction score
Okay here is the deal!

I have read many postings on dropping the temperature!
I have 55 gallon tank which I tried to put ice bottles ice cubes and all!!
The temperature is still at 23~25 range....I have not yet put my Axies in them!
currently living in 10gallon temporary home!! they are really small less than 3inches~ so adorable~ without purchasing a chiller what are my best choice?
I have aqua fan attached doesn't really help!! also air pump runnin in full power~
no light~ it's still 23~25......while my 10gallon is around 22~ HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bowl:.

cannot believe I cannot put them in the tank because of the temperature!!!

lea

Reaction score
The only way to be 100% sure of keeping the temp right is to buy a chiller. If you can afford one get one............... Do you have a canister filter??? If you do you could put your filter in an esky and put ice in it around the canister. I found this worked really well for me. A fan blowing across the water is also helpful as well......

carsona246

Reaction score
get more fans. i got a 9 inch fan from walmart, and have it set on top of my 40 breeder using a reptile mesh lid. Keeps my tank at a nice 18 C, which would normally be around 22-23

pent565

Reaction score
check the temp near the bottom of the tank, as well as at the surface. Often the warm water will rise, and the cool water will settle in a big tank. Check the location; what kind of light does it receive? Is it against an outside wall, or an interior wall? Where is the heat source in the room? How high is it raised? closer to the floor = colder tank.

carsona246

Reaction score
thought of the same idea, but apparently canisters are pretty well insulated, and the water will not stay in the canister long enough to be cooled off by the ice around the canister filter.

frasertheking

Reaction score
If you google Diy fridge chiller you can find plans on google for 100s of dollars instead of the 500 plus chillers cost

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1