Gas bubble disease

xxianxx

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Display Name
nai live
Is there any method safe for "degassing" water? i put this question to my dad whos a phd,msc x2 chemical engineering and some bio gobildygook (he did tell me but i lost interest after bio)and he told me that agitation would have some effect, pottasium permanganate and blood(he laughed at this one). Could anyone tell me wether any of these suggestions would have a positive effect or was my father trying to get me to open a vein over my axolotl tank because he has a sick sense of humour.
Joking aside are there any effective and simple methods of removing excess gasses from water, which could be undertaken in an emergency, other than letting the water age. Any stupidity in my dads answers are due to either my misunderstanding of the problem or my poor explaination.

Just let it sit. I always have 5-10 gallons of water sitting around for water changes, and I refill my buckets and let them sit for the next water change.

Agitation will usually serve to introduce more gas into the liquid. That's why whipping cream turns big and foamy when you whip it.

Are there any options other than letting the water age?

Agitation will usually serve to introduce more gas into the liquid. That's why whipping cream turns big and foamy when you whip it.

lol, its official im a fool. i misunderstood the term "agitation", rather than shaking the water my dad meant to run a pump in the water to move the water about. Another suggestion was to heat the water up which would remove the gasses faster ,then cool it down to an appropriate temperature, would this be effective?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's true that warm water holds less dissolved gas than cold water. But why go through all the trouble of boiling water, just to have to wait for it to cool down when you can just let the water sit anyway? It's not any easier nor does it save you any time.

When I do water changes, my axolotl gets ~15 gallons changed at a time. Usually only 30% of the water added has been 'aged'. Everything is dechlorinated (unless I'm using well-water), but I don't let it sit for long periods of time. It's not really necessary in a lot of cases.

Have you had problems with gas bubble disease? I think it usually is not a problem. When I do a water change I siphon the water out, put dechlorinator in the tank, and pump water in slowly through a marine safe garden style hose. I've not seen any problems.

Have you had problems with gas bubble disease? I think it usually is not a problem. When I do a water change I siphon the water out, put dechlorinator in the tank, and pump water in slowly through a marine safe garden style hose. I've not seen any problems.

No i havent had any problems im just interested. With regards to supersaturated water, i wondered what would need to be done if you had problems with your mains water supply and had no aged water in reserve, my house is on a hill and my water pressure varies, i regularly get "cloudy" water which is full of bubbles. I can see that the treatment for axolotls with gas bubble disease, would be to drop the water level, i assume that this would increase the ratio of surface area to water volume and allow the excess gasses in the water to difuse at a faster rate. However if the water you would be using is still supersaturated i wondered if there was a simple method of returning it to its natural balance to allow the axolotls a quicker respite from their condition, hence my question about heating the water to remove some of the excess gas, then cooling it to a temperature acceptable to axolotls. Thanks, i would appreciate your advice in this matter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back