Whats the most humane way to cull?

Zenna

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
~Ally<3
No worrys i dont need to cull any of my axies, But I do need to cull one of my guppies. are there any ways i can cull her so that i can still feed her to my axie? without torturing her? shes in alotta pain right now.

I went into my fish room & saw a tail sticking outta the filter >> so i pulled her out, and her eye is all buldgy and shes gimping around the tank >_< Whats the most humane way to cull? Getting answers asap would be great i dont want her to stay in pain for long >_<

Well if you're planning on feeding her to your axolotl...wouldn't you do just that?
I've never dealt with feeder fish before but it seems worse to cull her and then try feeding her to your axolotl?

Surely the axolotl won't care if she's a bit mangled, haha..

clove oil in water will euthanize her, she will just fall asleep and never wake up, but I'm not sure if its safe for your auxie to ingest.

Hahaha yeah I just.. I felt bad. But I figured it was more torture for her waiting for an answer. So I just picked her up and fed her to my axie XD I'm going to upload a video to youtube << My axie started backing away like"Bugg off! mine!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there everyone,
That was fun to watch and as a new axie owner I really enjoy feeding them and watching them eat.

Here is a really stupid question, are guppies the same as mountain cloud fish or minnows, are they all the same thing ? I'm just curious because we have 6 little cloud fish in our tank and my young son keeps asking me to feed one of them to Taco (our axie). Generally I wouldn't have a problem with this, I'm just not sure their safe to feed to him with as we had a sick gold fish in there a little while ago, also the little beggers follow me around every time I walk past their tank (I know it's only for food) so I kinda like them lol

Thanks and regards
Sammie.

Hi there everyone,
That was fun to watch and as a new axie owner I really enjoy feeding them and watching them eat.

Here is a really stupid question, are guppies the same as mountain cloud fish or minnows, are they all the same thing ? I'm just curious because we have 6 little cloud fish in our tank and my young son keeps asking me to feed one of them to Taco (our axie). Generally I wouldn't have a problem with this, I'm just not sure their safe to feed to him with as we had a sick gold fish in there a little while ago, also the little beggers follow me around every time I walk past their tank (I know it's only for food) so I kinda like them lol

Thanks and regards
Sammie.

I'm not sure about the mountain cloud fish but am quite sure I've read in some of the other threads about feeder fish that several people use minnows.
Maybe have a look through this thread (http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...all/57734-guppies-breeding-food-axolotls.html) as there's a lot of useful info about the different kinds of fish that can be fed to them. I believe the real danger lies in fish with spiky spine bits and things like that, also, feeder fish should only be the occasional treat as I think axies have some trouble digesting the skeleton?

feeder fish should only be the occasional treat as I think axies have some trouble digesting the skeleton?

I dont think they really do. my axies meal consists of feeders, and the occasional bit of crab or beef or something as a treat. she hasnt had any problems at all with the feeders or the skeletons :)

And yes.. I know that wasnt very humane.. but it was kinda fun. and it was alot better than letting her sit there and suffer! and at least my axie got a tastey meal outta it :)

I tend to kill guppies myself before feeding them to my adult axolotls, net them , keep them in there and flick forcefully to the back of the head, one flick tends to kill them, do two to ensure it does.

I dont think they really do. my axies meal consists of feeders, and the occasional bit of crab or beef or something as a treat. she hasnt had any problems at all with the feeders or the skeletons :)

Feeder fish are not the best diet for axolotls. Earthworms are a much better stable diet for axolotls.
Also feeder fish can have parasites and diseases unless you breed your own, so unless you do then you shouldn't feed your axolotls any feeder fish.

I have white cloud minnows in my axolotl tank. They where put in as feeder fish, but as they are so fast, only one has been eaten. They are now rather merrily reproducing now. Do quarantine them though. I have had mine for approx six months as they where put into one of my new newt tanks while it was maturing.
If you are going to use fish to feed your axolotl, you must quarantine them in a separate tank for a good month first. Purchasing them from a shop and just chucking them in will be asking for trouble. I have raised guppies for this purpose and cherry shrimp in the past.

I know I know. I do breed my own feeders! :) Im sure theres nothing wrong with them. How do you start your own earthworm culture? o-o I'd rather not have to go dig them up every second day :p

How do you start your own earthworm culture? o-o I'd rather not have to go dig them up every second day :p

Im just researching that myself. You can buy wormeries online or you can make your own.

hmmmm I'd love to make my own, unfortunatly... I dont know how XD

I'm no expert, but you can start with a Styrofoam box then lay some damp newspaper on the bottom, add some good quality soil then add earthworms. It's good to feed them egg shells and vegetable scraps. Just scatter the food matter on top and gently mix in.

I'm sure there may be a bit more to it but I think this is a good way to start. With your own worms you can be sure that they have not come into contact with any pesticides or other chemicals and have a good source of excellent food for your axie.

I'v used white clouds as feeders for my axies when I've been on holiday, I started with 12 and when I got back a week later only 2 were left.

my axie probably ate them all on the first day too. I have 4 in my shrimp tank and now I'm tempted to put them in for my axies, they are too used to being hand fed, I think they are getting lazy.

My adult axolotls generally ignore the guppys in their tank to, if they missed a few meals they might try and catch them. In my juvy tank its a different story, i have a melanoid who wont rest till she has eaten all the guppy fry i place in with her.

haha wow. mine likes being hand fed. shes too lazy to catch it herself. haha. i put in my gimped guppy and it just flopped around the bottom, she looked at it, and didnt move xD so i picked it up and fed it to her. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back