Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Possible Mouth Rot

poncho11

Reaction score
hey guys
need some help!!
i work at a pet store and am very passionate about axolotls.i myself have 3 :happy:.
now a kid and his mum bought a axie from my work 3 weeks ago, today they came back into the store with a black axie saying they want there money back cause the axie has a disgusting growth on its mouth...my work had to give them there money so now we have a axie who has mouth rot i know for a fact it didnt leave looking like this.ihave put melafix in the water and giving it a 10 min salt bath...can smeone tell me if im doing the right thing..my 3 axies are fat and happy so ive never had to deal with a fungus or disease..it wont eat because its mouth has half rotted away...his name is mufasa and he needs your help....

people who dont research animals beforethey purchase them and then expect everything to be ok cause they will get there money back..Dont they know axies are an endangered species..god it makes me angry..

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The poor thing.

Are you able to post photos of the axolotl's mouth?

Melafix is toxic to amphibians, I would cease using it. If there is no sign of fungus (white cottony substance) I would also stop the salt baths as well.

Going by your description, I would strongly recommend taking Mufasa to a vet. If the "mouth rot" is bacterial, it will need to be treated by a course of antibiotics prescribed by a vet.

Here is a list of Herp Vets in Australia You may need to do some ringing around to find one with experience in treating axolotls.

Whereabouts are you based? If members know where you are, they may be able to recommend a vet to you.

Once again, a photo would be most helpful.

Last edited:

poncho11

Reaction score
I'm not totally sure on how to add photos to the thread, but have added a gallery called 'sick mufasa' on my gallery. I'm located in Geelong. Thanks for all you help please check out the photos and let me know!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Poor little guy. That looks so painful.
The only option is a vet for this, I don't think it will be treatable by your self.

Zenna

Reaction score
Oh my gosh thats horrible DX I agree. Take mufasa to a vet. Its probably your best option! I Really hope He gets better!

Goodluck!

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's definitely going to need to be looked at and treated by a vet.

Please keep us posted as to how it goes.

Last edited:

poncho11

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, we have a vet at the pet store where I work so I will get onto in ASAP and let you know how I get on. Many thanks again.

poncho11

Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry its taken so long to reply, but a bit of an update on Mufasa, took him to the vet and they gave us some anti-biotics to put in his tank, and, slowly but surely he is getting better and his flesh is growing back. He seems much happier and moving around his tank a lot. Thanks heaps for all your support and will let you know if anything changes!

Loobylou

Reaction score
This makes me angry. I hope you took the woman's name etc and it's on record so she is NEVER able to buy another animal from your store.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1