Question: Axie Being Picked On Advice Please

zoezakella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zoe
Ok I have had my 3 axies for nearly 2 years now with no problems!

I bought Finley (golden albino) & Mojo (Leucistic) together (both males) and were both the same size, Mojo has grown to nearly 9 inches whereas Finley is still only just over 7 inches! Both eat the same so its not that!

I also have a 3rd axie in the tank my wild (Jabba) who is female and all 3 have lived quite happily together without any trouble!

Now in the last few weeks I have noticed Finley has been staying in the corners more almost hiding, his gills have been munched on and he also had a bad leg which again looked like it had been bitten. The leg healed quickly so had no trouble there until today!

I noticed Mojo in a sort of strike mode and he slowly slowly edged towards Finley and then took an attempted bite! I was quite shocked at this so sat there watching him again. Finley had taken retreat into a log hide quickly pursued by Mojo. Again after a while I saw Mojo snap at Finley.

To say I am gutted about this is an understatement as I dont want to rehome one but also dont have room for another tank to seperate them so my question is can I comfortably home 3 axies in a 4ft tank with a divider, I am thinking no but was after some advice really and other peoples opinions.

I have attached a photo of the tank for you. Jabba is a very active axie who likes to swim so she needs a lot of room, Mojo is fairly active but more of a walker. Finley is the lazy one bless him and tends to stay in the same place most of the time so could I get away with say a 45cm space for him out of a 122cm wide tank or as I feel is that too small a space for a lazy axie??

Tank dimensions are 122cm wide, 31 depth & 40cms height up to top of water.

Thanks for any help! :(

zoezakella-albums-new-4ft-axie-tank-picture13959-new-axie-tank-014.jpg

Your table looks big enough for a five foot tank, you can pick second hand tanks up quite cheaply on ebay.

LOL , yes it is big enough but I dont think stable enough to handle a 5ft tank, the 4ft was pushing it :(

Ianxx will PM you

I'd be tempted to put in the divider, but not sure who I would separate though :(

I'd be tempted to put in the divider, but not sure who I would separate though :(

Thanks Julia.

Its a rubbish situation and dont understand why it has just started!

Am thinking Finley will be the one to be seperated into the smaller bit as he really does not move around much so dont think that will bother him BUT as you know I have upgraded my tank 3 times since having these guys so they had plenty of space so I dont want to squash them all in and also Jabba loves doing her laps up and down, really is no easy answer I suppose!! x

DECISION MADE :(

Have just seen Mojo stalking Jabba now, why is he doing this now after all this time???

Looks like I need to rehome Mojo GUTTED:cry:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back