Obese axies - how to put them on a diet?

blinky000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My guys and girls are in serious need of a diet. They've been living with my dad for a few years because I've not had the space for them and after about 6 months, I visited them for the first time and they were COLOSSAL I asked dad what he'd been feeding them. Turns out they'd been eating nothing but ox liver. So I chastised him, bought some proper pellets and thought that'd be the end of it.
Well, they're coming home tomorrow so I asked dad if I'd need to buy them any more food, and it turns out he's STILL been feeding them ox liver! :mad: And don't even get me started on me telling him the difference between the sexes and them still living together...
So now I have 5 obese axolotls who are desperately in need of a treadmill or something. But how do you diet an axolotl? I have pellets for them but how much shall I cut their intake to?

If they are adults, feed them every 3 days. Ox liver is a really poor food choice for your axolotl.

I know :( I'm really worried about heart disease. And it's not like they're getting any younger. The oldest 3 are coming up to about 9 now.

I would be much more worried about high levels of Vitamin A from the liver than I would heart disease.

Tell your dad that it's really not a healthy diet, and they need to be on something more balanced.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back