Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need Help with new baby

Zenna

Reaction score
Alright so ive got a new axolotl, Hes just a baby, And the petstore owners are dumb =[ they've got them all in the same tank, with gravel.. and they havent been fed properly. My new axie, once i got a close observation, I realised... Hes missing 1 gill. 1 back leg. and some of his tail :(

What should i look for as for infections and stuff in the re-growing limbs? looks like theres some blood where his leg was =/ so im unsure. help please?

aeviette

Reaction score
Oh no! Well he's got a good home now! People like that shouldn't be allowed to sell animals...
So what you need to look out for is fungus, which looks like cotton wool. You can put him in the fridge if this happens. Fungus can spread pretty quickly so keep an eye out.
Fridge will also be good for gravel, it should make its way out in there. You could keep him in the tank and it would eventually come out that way too, but I'd be worried about bits of gravel hiding and getting eaten again.
I know it's hailed as a miracle cure on here but... I think it probably is! Only thing is fridging and babies- anyone else know if this is ok for them?
Good luck!

NooNoo Kz

Reaction score
9They can survive in really low temperatures so fridging them wont hurt if he has all 4 legs (except for the one hes missing lol). this will help him to digest the gravel, regrow his limbs and stop any infection/fungus. I'd definately fridge him.

aeviette

Reaction score
There's a how-to on fridging somewhere round here :) daily water changes with dechlorinated fridged water. Important to make sure it's the same temp as the fridge water he'll be in. Couple of other things worth knowing.

Zenna

Reaction score
Alright! So I should fridge him? :O I let him go play with Bubbles and Mystery. hehe they're all from the same spawn :) but i got bubbles and mystery before they were big enough to realise they could eat eachother. Heres some pics. I named him / Her Dot. Because hes got a big dot on the top of his head x3 You can see the dot better in the last pic if u leave it small. the pic like that was kinda crappy.

Attachments

• IMG_2331.JPG
    IMG_2331.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2332.JPG
    IMG_2332.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2340.JPG
    IMG_2340.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 184

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't fridge it until it shows signs of infection. Really, with the little ones, the best thing to do is to get them to eat as much as you can and grow up quickly. If you do start seeing fungus or signs of septicemia, you should fridge.

iSuzie

Reaction score
You don't need to fridge an animal just for the re growing process, as this should happen naturally if they are kept in the right conditions.
Only if absolutely necessary you should fridge an axolotl, because there are a few down sides to fridgeing.
One being that their loss of apatite and they can become skinny and less healthy in the long run.
Also i don't think its a good idea to fridge a younger axolotl unless something drastically bad has happened.. Eg. Fungus or infection.
Fridgeing isn't something that should just be done, you really need to understand the process and what it actually does for the animal and can cause the animal before deciding to do anything especially when the animal is so young.

The best course of action to take is make sure their water is kept in the best condition it can be, and lower the temp maybe by a few degree's but not enough to stunt their apatite, maybe if possible keep it at 16-19 and see how he go's when it's feeding time :D

Last edited:

oroxine

Reaction score
Also, you don't need to fridge if you catch the infection early, Lance my albino had the tiniest bit of fungus on his tail and because I caught it early i just gave him a few salt baths :) however it is important to remember to keep doing the baths (even if it's a super weak solution) a couple of days after the fungus is gone :)

Zenna

Reaction score
Alright guys thanks :) When doing salt baths (incase i ever have to) how do you do that? o-o just put them in a container with X amount of salt in it, for a while?

iSuzie

Reaction score
If you ever need to actually do any home medicating, wait until something actually happens before planing on what you are going to do.
There are great tutorials on how to fridge and how to do salt baths on here but you don't need them because nothing is wrong yet, and if you look after your beautiful axie's nothing will go wrong :)
So dont stress and stop worrying about what could happen and focus on how cute they are :D

Zenna

Reaction score
Yeah but Ya know, If something did happen, I wouldnt know what to do o-o thats why i worry. because i dont want anything to happen :p

iSuzie

Reaction score
Then prevention is a better thing to research then cure.
As long as you look after them you wont have anything to worry about, so its ok :D
You shouldn't get fungus unless your temp is to high, and infections you shouldn't need to worry about as long as your water conditions are good.
So.. that all means.. your axolotls are in great hands and you shouldn't ever need to do any salt baths or fridgeing, and if it does happen, then you can find out what to do then as each situations is always different and any advice given now might be wrong for the situation, so there no use in figuring out cures for future problems until it happens. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!