Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2 axolotls in one tank?

Red Robin

Reaction score
I've had one axolotle for 6 moonths now, and i was wondering if i could get another one, as i think he could be getting lonely. the tank should be big enough, but im more worried about how to integrate a new one into it, as i've heard that they will fight and eat each other...
any ideas on how to do this without this kind of thing happening? all advice would be very helpful.

danchristopher

Reaction score
It generally depends on the axolotls, I've introduced a new adult axolotl to my other adults and all was completely fine.
How old is your current axolotl? There is generally only a period of cannibalism they go through when they are young (I don't remember exact ages) but adults tend to be a lot more subdued. However, adults have been known to occasionally nip at others (probably mistaking them for food) resulting in lost limbs and things, but thanks to their regenerating powers, this isn't often a massive issue.

If you plan to get another one you want it to be around the same size.
I could also recommend using a tank divider (you can purchase them or make one yourself), this way they could get used to see each other in the same tank and when you think they're ready you can remove the divider.

Red Robin

Reaction score
my axolotl is roughly 8-9 months old, so i should try to get one around this age as well? the only problem with that is that i think they don't sell adult axolotls at my pet store, so i might get a smaller one and separate the tank. how long does it usually take for them to become used to each other using this method?

NooNoo Kz

Reaction score
He should be super fine to have another one. You can get a male or female for him and he should be absolutely fine as long as theyre near the same age group, your one should be perfectly fine with older ones, but maybe not younger ones. the cannabalisim stage is the first week of life up until all 4 legs are fully developed..

Red Robin

Reaction score
thanks, so if i got one from a pet store that is roughly a month old, it should be fine?

NooNoo Kz

Reaction score
Normally they are, but make sure its not too small that if your boy mistakes it for dinner the whole thing will go. As long as it is about 8 cm long and has all 4 legs you should be right! If its smaller then that than you may have to get it to grow a bit before putting in with your boy. Where are you located?

iSuzie

Reaction score
Any axolotls that you put in together will need to be roughly the same same, the difference should be anything more than 4-5cm, I personally wouldn't put any two axolotls together unless they are the same size with no less than 2cm difference.

If you are getting another addition to your axolotl family, you will need another tank set up for the second one, as you need to quarantine your new addition in a separate tank for no less than 30 days to make sure he/she doesn't have any unseen diseases or illnesses.

The tank size requirement for 2 axolotls is 3ft, They need at least 36 litres or 10 gallons of water per axolotl otherwise overcrowding will cause them to bite at each other and this may cause stress.
After you bring you new addition home, quarantine him for 30 days then set up a tank divider and introduce him to your current one.
Then after a week or so remove the divider and let them meet :D

If your thinking about getting a smaller axolotl as your second you could always let him grow bigger in the second "quarantine" tank until he / she reaches the right size :D

Good luck!

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In addition to the advice you have already received, I'll just add this:

If you do decide to get a companion for your axolotl, you will need to quarantine the new axolotl for at least 30 days before introducing it to your present axolotl. This ensures that if the new axolotl is carrying anything nasty (disease) it will not spread to the other/s.

edit: Suzi beat me to it.

Last edited:

Red Robin

Reaction score
thanks for all your advice guys! luckily i have a spare tank sitting around that i can use for the quarintine, but where would i get a tank divider? will i need to make it, or can i just buy one?

Red Robin

Reaction score
thanks for all your advice guys! luckily i have a spare tank sitting around that i can use for the quarintine, but where would i get a tank divider? will i need to make it, or can i just buy one?

my bad, just re-read the first reply. thanks, i'll probably buy one when i buy the axolotl

aeviette

Reaction score

You can buy them, but they're solid so you'd need to put a second filter in the other half, or you could make one, I need a divider so I was googling around yesterday :) you know the plastic mesh stuff kids use for cross stitch? It's called 'plastic canvas', get a piece of that big enough and attach some rubber suckers to the corners with fishing line or something else plastickey. That way water can get through, and the axies will be able to smell each other. And it will cost you about £2 at most. Score.

carsona246

Reaction score
make sure your tank is large enough for 2 axolotls. Just to clarify something axolotls do not get lonely, and don't "need" companionship. If you want 2, and have the tank space that's great and 2 axolotls work great together. However they really don't get lonely

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!