Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What happens to your newts when you die ?

Molch

Reaction score
It might be the morbid question of the week, but seriously:

have you left plans/instructions for what happens to your newts in case you get abducted by aliens or hit by a train? Considering that newts are so long-lived they might very well outlive us. Do your friends/relatives know what to do with all your newts?

I volunteered at an animal shelter once and the frogs and reptiles that arrived there always fared pretty badly; no one at the shelter knew how to care for them and they were not easy to adopt out. Imagine all your newt tank arriving at the next pound and being stacked against the wall...the though can make your skin crawl..

anyways, let's hear it...have you put your newts in your will or ledt instructions otherwise?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You mean they are not allowed in Valhalla?..bugger....

I have a sort of verbal contract with a friend. If any of us dies, the other one gets all the caudates. Against all common sense, i hope he outlives me...he has too many xD

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Hubby has been given my password for here and hopefully they could be re-homed. His only real problem will be finding where I have stashed them all :rolleyes:

Kribby

Reaction score
My girlfriend loves the newts as much as I do. I have no fear for them finding good homes if something were to happen to me. I am pretty sure she would just keep them all. If both of us go... well I know there is a reptile and amphibian rescue located nearby. I am sure some of my fish friends that are associated with them will ensure they are looked after.

Little Nessie

Reaction score
Same here. My boyfriend loves my tiger as much as me so Monster would be alright and well loved if I spontaneously combust...

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
My caudates are in my will, seriously. My wife gets to go through and pick out all the ones she wants to keep then the rest are sent to a very few good friends.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Well if my time comes then my newts/salamanders will be divided up and sent off to some close friends. Hopefully this won't happen no time soon!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a section in my will for my pets. I have a contact person with it from the forum they can call about the salamanders/newts and he will come and get them and take care of finding them homes.

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
All my animals will go to my friend who is a fellow breeder and I know will take care of them or at least find them good homes if he doesn't want to keep them for his own colony.

AngieD

Reaction score
I see myself as too young to make a will, if I have an 'unfortunate occurrence' then my boyfriend will have to take on my 3 critters. He has plenty of animals, so 3 newts will be no trouble

melfly

Reaction score
I have a friend who my family know to contact if anything happens.

I thought I was weird for having planned that!

Mel

Jake

Reaction score
No one is getting my animals when I kick the bucket! They will need to be buried/burned with my cold dead body. I'll use some to pay Charon for the ferry ride across the river Styx (because I doubt I'll have any money) and I'll snack on the rest, after all I'm sure it takes a while to get across that river and I don't like eating my finger nails.

ed_moyer

Reaction score
Well, I have a deal with some friends that I trust!!! That they will come over an go through everything, an split it up!!! The only catch is that nothing will be sold or traded!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1