Hi from Scotland!

lewisc

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Hi All

We're the Castle-Cloughs from Scotland.:happy:

We've been keeping axys for about 18 months now and have our first batch of juveniles which has been a HUGE learning curve for us all. We started with about 70 eggs and 3 months later now have about 25 juveniles almost ready to move on - any advice on achieving this would be great.

We've also got a major injury if anyone can help - biggest juvenile christened 'King Kong' was put in with adults when he reached 10 cm long. Unfortunately 3 days in we found him hanging out of Mum's mouth :eek:. Serious wound to abdomen with something hanging out. He's still alive 4 days later and we're doing the fridging thing as advised on the forum but don't know what the odds of survival are - any ideas would be great.

Welcome, Lewis. Since your introduction has a lot of axolotl questions, I will move it to the axolotl help area. You'll get more replies there.

What to do with excess offspring is a problem. They are not easy to ship for people without animal shipping experience. I would suggest trying to find local options for giving them away, such as posting fliers.

Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions for king kong. Keep him fridged and clean.

Hello Lewis,

Welcome to the forum. With regards to your axolotl with the abdominal injury: it needs to see a vet as soon as possible! An assessment of what is hanging out and what damage has been done to it is essential - and to decide whether treatment should be attempted or whether euthanasia is the kinder option.

There are a few vets in Scotland that are more than happy to see amphibians. Failing that any vet can seek advice from experienced colleagues and treat accordingly.

Good luck!
Mark

Edit: Apologies! Just seen that this post has been moved!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back