Noticed something weird happening!

katie11122

Reaction score
Country
Australia
:confused:
My male axolotl has a white thread type thing coming out of his rear end it almost looks like sperm its kind of clear and floaty?. I have found a few of them in the last two days. His cloacal seems to have swollen a lot over the last week. I have some pics at home which I will get downloaded but I am very worried. He was happily eating worms last night and other than seeing the white stuff coming out of his male bits he seems fine. Has anyone ever herd of this I seem to remember a post about it before but I can’t find it.

How old is he sometimes older axies get fluid build up due to kidney malfunction or infection

Sounds just like exactly what you describe, sperm. All totally normal.

The good news is, if there's a female about you might find their behaviour changes in the next few days. Typically the male will start pushing the female about, over the sperm.

Then you'll find you have your very own egg making machine, which is great, and gross, to watch.

Males don't usually have sperm trailing out of their cloaca. They lay sperm packets on top of a little goo-volcano, the whole package being called a spermatophore. It's like a bowel movement; it shouldn't be hanging, it should just be dropped.

If there are white stringy bits hanging out of your axolotl, it may be constipated, or may have an infection. What kind of substrate do you have?

I do realise that, hence why i said about the males pushing the females over it, i just thought some may have stayed attached.

I must admit I've never seen this happen.

I suppose it could be a prolapse that's burst etc.

I think photos are needed and kaysie is right, perhaps be more cautious than i first recommended.

Could be worms? The parasite kind, not the food kind. Thoughts?

Well I have sand as a substrate, and I don’t think it is worms although that was a good suggestion so thank you. It’s a clear almost skin like dag I guess he has had a few over the last couple of days (about 5ish). He had a big feed last night and seems as though he is okay at the moment. I will post the pictures tonight (had to charge my laptop). Its very strange and I cant find anything on the net about it. You would think he would have to have some sort of infection but their would have to be other signs right?? My other male has left sperm deposits around the tank so I know what they look like and these are much different, about an inch long milky in colour and look like skin floating around the tank. I have started feeding him worms which he may not be used to so I have changed he diet back to pellets and feeder barbs so hoping that fixes things!!

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions hopefully thing get better soon

How old is he sometimes older axies get fluid build up due to kidney malfunction or infection

i would say he is only just sexually mature he has grown alot in the month that i have had him and beefed up to! ;p he wouldnt be more than a year and a bit.

nah it probably something else he is to young for typical kidney malfunction

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back