Illness/Sickness: Floating Axolotl, getting very worried.

xaskk

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I have two Axolotls, and a while ago (I don't exactly remember, but it's been over four months), I noticed one of them floating, just touching the surface. He seemed unable to touch the bottom of the tank. I did some research on this issue and I lowered the tank water so he could touch the ground. I left this for a few days and filled the tank back up again. The axolotl was fine. Couple of days after, it happens again. I repeated the process, but he just kept on floating back up. This went on for quite a while. I called up the fish store where I bought my axolotls from, and they told me to put in a teaspoon of salt. I did, and this worked for about two days. He started floating again, and now its getting worse. He was struggling very much to touch the tank floor. I lowered the water again and now I keep it just above them. Its been like this for days and he has still been touching the surface. I've caught him a couple of times floating upside down. This greatly concerned me. I've read about other people having the same issue with their axolotls, and I read about certain techniques to stop it. I'm too afraid to put my axolotl in a refrigerated container, as I've heard can help, because I have never done this before and I have very little information on exactly how. People have said that the problem could be that my axolotl has been gulping air from the surface, but I don't think so, because I have never seen him do this. I don't think he is very healthy. I feed him and the other one once a day on small little dried tablet things (I think they are called 'Axolotl Chow' or something like that). Should I be feeding them other foods? I feel that I need to get some live food for them... Any suggestions? I'm desperate for help. I am able to post pictures if needed and give a more detailed description.

what substrate do you use in the tank?

if he's floating tail up, it's a tell tale sign of constipation and a few days in the fridge should help him out. a axie's metabolism slows right down when the temperature drops and to avoid them having rotting food in their stomach or digestive tract, so they throw up or poop out whatever is in there.

if your animal has swallowed something it shouldn't have (and it happens!) this will probably cause impaction and cause him to float. this takes us back to my first question as normal aquarium gravel is not suitable for axies. they usually swallow it and become impacted.

some pictures of your setup and details of your water chemistry would be fantastic!

as for food, live earthworms are the suggested staple diet, supplemented with pellets and bloodworm.

Thanks very much. Just a few more questions and then I will give more details and pictures. What sort of container should I use for the refrigeration method and should I cover it? What is the ideal temperature for this?

The axolotl seems to be floating from near the tail end, but towards the middle. He is quite skinny. By substrate do you mean gravel/stones on the aquarium floor? I have a fine gravel (almost like sand) that I was advised to use by a pet store worker. He said it would go straight through the axolotl if they swallow any, so I don't think that's the problem.

Attached I have a picture of my tank (which is quite dirty at the moment), and three of the axie. Things to note: He is lopsidedly floating, his gut is quite visible (this is probably bad, I don't know), and he has a little yellow spot on his side (I don't know what to think of this?).

Attachments

• IMG_4309.jpg
    IMG_4309.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 811
  • IMG_4310.jpg
    IMG_4310.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,842
  • IMG_4311.jpg
    IMG_4311.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 850
  • IMG_4312.jpg
    IMG_4312.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 3,332
now that I look at the tank, I don't think he's constipated. substrate = what you use on the bottom of the tank. washed play sand is recommended and it's easy to keep clean.

try keeping the light off for a few days and see how he goes, axies don't have eyelids and as such they aren't too keen on bright lights.

do you know what your water chemistry is like?

I wouldn't go fridging him just yet, it's really only needed if your animal is constipated or stressed. any food safe container will be fine. here is the article on how to fridge if you feel you need to. http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Fridging.shtml

I'm not sure how to tell my water chemistry, and I don't have any instruments to do so. I have left the light turned off for days, so I'm not too sure if that's helping much.
Once again, thanks.

I'm not sure how to tell my water chemistry, and I don't have any instruments to do so. I have left the light turned off for days, so I'm not too sure if that's helping much.
Once again, thanks.

If you take a sample of water (50 ml of so) to any pet shop with an aquarium section they should be more than happy to do a water test for you. Usually it is free but some places charge one or two dollars.

Thanks. I think I will do this.

It's gotten worse. I have found my axolotl upside down and unable to right himself. I don't know what to do.

Have you had your water tested yet? I would also get that done ASAP. You should also be able to buy test kits at any store that sells aquatic animals, or online (eBay!)
Just remember to get the liquid test ones, the tests that have you swish a strip in the water are notoriously inaccurate. You will also save money by buying a master test kit, which will have more than everything you need.
Or, as Kim suggested, take a water sample to a local pet store.

Maybe for the time being it might help to take him out of the aquarium and put him into a container in some fresh dechlorinated water that just covers him, perhaps you can gently try help him to turn over. If you do this, you must change 100% of the water everyday as it will foul quickly.

Thank you. I will get a water test done soon. I'm going to put him in a container with dechlorinated water. What is the easiest way to change 100% of the water? Should I put him in a different container while I do this?

The easiest way is probably to have two containers both filled with dechlorinated water. That way, when it comes to doing the water change all you do is pop your axie into the new container with the fresh water, then rinse out your other container, fill it back up with dechlorinated water and you're good for the next day.

If you are lacking containers though (which I do if I have to fridge my three adults) I use a different method.
I take the container my axie is in and move some of the water into a large bowl (cause I run out of large containers!) then I transfer my axie into that while I rinse out her holding container. I keep a bottle of dechlorinated water which I then use refill the container, then transfer my axie back into her container with the now fresh water.

Hope this helps.

edit: I just re-read and I think it sounds a bit confusing but I hope you get the idea!

Yes this does make sense to me :D Thanks.

Given that his condition is deteriorating I would probably fridge him at this point, as suggested earlier.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back