Condensation and the Australian summer

shells

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,
I'm wondering what other Aussies do in relation to condensation running off their tank onto their stands? If the Brisbane weather keeps up like it is I'm worried my tank will perish.

I only used to get condensation when I rapidly cooled the tank and on humid days. Perth summers are usually always very hot and dry so it's not really a issue most of the time for me. I do however have to top up the tank frequently.

from memory, one member (also in brissie I think) had a custom stand made and the tank basically sat in a tray and the condensation collected in it.

It is a problem as of course as the stand will eventually fail due to water damage and the wood expanding. it's a very real issue if your stand has plywood or chipboard on it somewhere, as some tanks that are mass produced branded ones (aqua one, jebo etc) and come with matching stands mostly use laminated chipboard in the construction.

if you have a metal stand, you probably won't have any issues. keep in mind too that you'll get lots of condensation if you use a chiller to cool your tank.

That person was me and I ended up buying a whole new tank and stand and custom made it so that the condensation dripped down into a rubber bath and then down into a drain. If you want I could show you how I did it. It's cheap to make but requires the stand to be able to have rubber silicone to it.

Awwwwwwwwwww that would be great :D thanks Sunny. I was thinking of some sort of water sealant for the wood but wasn't sure how good it would work.

Last edited:
ahhh yes I rember now it was you sunny!

some pics would be fantastic! I too would like to see your arrangement and how you did this!

Shamwows still sit on the wood...

I'll have to do it thursday night as I don't have the pictures on this computer.

All I did was buy (from Petbarn) a tank, hood and cabinet (the pine ones). Go to Clark Rubber and buy some thin rubber matting (large enough to sit in the base and go around the edges), some wet area silicon and a silicon gun. Some tubing from bunnings to create the drain that goes into a bucket underneath an a stain because the pine didn't go with all of our other furniture. All up it cost me around $600.

(You can just call me Blaze by the way guys)

Thanks Sunny, it makes sence, however, if the rubber matting sits in the bottom of the stand what do you use the silicone for?

If you can come into Petbarn at Bald Hills and ask for Blaze on a thursday or friday or sunday (saturday morning this week, not sunday) I will be in and can explain it better. The silicon because rubber needs to come up the sides of the stand to hold the water in and if you don't silicon in the edges it will seep through any cracks.

This is it without being siliconned.

Attachments

• tank stand.png
    tank stand.png
    368.6 KB · Views: 116
Ah of course!!!
Bummer I'm away this weekend :(

Next time I'm over that side of town on those days i'll be sure to drop in and say hi :happy:

Thanks for the pics!!

Petbarn have the most expensive tanks ever! just saying.

They arn't really, it depends on what ones. If you have looking at the Blue Plant range they are going to be expensive as they come with a hood and filter and lights and stand. Petbarn also do not price they tanks, the manufacturers do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back