Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Kevin and Axoltl, Casper II. From STL.

Casper2

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Kevin, and I have a pet Axolotl by the name of Casper II. The reasoning is Casper the First passed due to inexperience. So I decided to join a online community that might be able to educate me and answer any questions I might have about my pet Axolotl... Such as this one; I've Casper II for about 2-3 months. He's doing fine healthy and big. I've had him since he was a baby and he has grown from about an inch to about 7 inches now, and that is where my problem lies. I need to get him into a bigger tank, but I'm not sure how it will affect him and his health. What I'd like to know is can I put him in a 10 gallon tank(currently in a gallon keeper) with a small filter and/or bubble wand to break surface tension? What steps can I take to make sure he survives? and what are the major concerns of doing so? I would appreciate any tips or advice. I've grown very attached to Casper II and would hate to lose another.
-Kevin and Casper II

Kribby

Reaction score
Welcome to the community Kevin and Casper II! It is great to have you and I am sure that you will find the members here to be very knowledgeable and helpful. There is a whole section dedicated to axolotls on the forum and there is a whole subsite to caudata.org dedicated to axolotls as well Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

To answer your emmediate question though, Casper would benefit greatly from a larger tank with some filtration. A 7 inch axolotl would be producing a good deal of waste and a critter keeper would be getting rather cramped. A larger tank will only do good things for his health in the long run. You can minimize stress by using the old water in the critter keeper as a base and then toping the tank up with dechlorinated water.

Be sure to give the new tank lots of water changes and read up on how to cycle a tank as well. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1