Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Axolotl Blog

oroxine

Reaction score
I love it!!! I don't have anything to be critical about though, I'll go reread it again and try to think of criticisms!!

I love how well/clearly it is organized and the blue background and the font youve used :) :) :)

(I really like it if you didnt notice =P)

sammie68

Reaction score
Hi Sarah,

I loved reading your blog. It was easy to understand and provides the reader with vital and useful information. I hope you don't mind, I have a suggestion about the wording in one of the paragraphs. I've copied and pasted the part of the paragraph and re worded it...

Axolotl obtains its name from the Aztec god Xolotl, the god of death and bad luck - although it can also be translated as "water-dog". In my opinion, I cannot see these little adorable things having anything to do with the myth of Xolotl, not to mention death. But hey.. it doesn't affect this delightful little creatures, and that is all that matters!

Perhaps it could read as;

The name "Axolotl" is obtained from the Aztec god Xolotl, who was believed to be the god of death and bad luck. Furthermore, the name Xolotl may also be translated as "water-dog" and in my opinion I can not see this adorable amphibian having anything to do with the myth of Xolotl, not to mention death. But hey...the myth behind this delightful little creature doesn't affect them and that is all that matters!

I hope my suggestion makes sense. Thanks again for the wonderful blog.
Kind regards
Sammie.:talker:

oroxine

Reaction score
Do you mind if I link to your site (plus some of the other sites you mention) on the tumblr?

I'm also going to link to isuzis care sheet :)

blinky000

Reaction score
The site's looking great. I have a photo of one of my guys with anchor worm if you'd like to use it for the disease section :) Just one thing I noticed, in the substrate bit, most people say that barebottom causes stress in axolotls and I'd agree. My guys seem to get really bothered over it. And maybe an ode to the turkey baster could be put in the care page ;)

The Banana

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks, Blinky - would appreciate that.

I seem to have found my axies don't mind barebottom, although they do seem to be able to move a LITTLE better with substrate. I could add that point though, always good to have two sides of a story. :happy:

Thanks for the feedback, just about to go away for a few days, will add that in when I get back.

Kribby

Reaction score
Your blog looks very nice and informative. :D
Good show. I gave it a read through and found it to be very informative.

Loobylou

Reaction score
'They can, however, gulp water from the surface if there is not enough oxygen in the water.'

Shouldn't this be 'gulp air'?

Also:
'Raw Prawns
Are alright as a rare treat. Best'

Best what?

But good blog :)

Last edited:

sammie68

Reaction score
Hi Sarah, Thanks for your great blog. Because of that I found a great virtual aquarium after clicking on the Beta fish link. This is so useful as I'm in the process of moving out my gold fish so I can put my axie (Taco) in there. The virtual aquarium lets you move different plants and things around the tank. While the substrate is not suitable for axolotls you can still come up with some great ideas for aquaplaning !!.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1