Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

One single egg all on it's own? =/ ??

iSuzie

Reaction score
:confused:
So... I just found ONE single egg all on its own in my 200litre tank... we have 3 females and 2 males.. 2 of the females are fat and look pregnant/full of egg's

One single egg.. I cant find any others at all, i searched every plant and it has left me completely confused because all 3 females are acting completely normal.. not in plants they are eating and their cloacal regions are not open or anything that i can see...

Is it possible for a female to lay just one egg? or should i wait some more and expect a lot more?

Could the beginning of the laying take a few hours? Im thinking that this is just the start of even more egg's lol​

danchristopher

Reaction score
I found a lone egg in my tank the other week, I think it was one I missed. The other eggs from the same batch had been kept at a much lower temperature though so this one was much more developed. I popped it into a container and a day later it hatched, but it's brothers and sisters hatched a week later, so he is much more advanced and special :) maybe I will name him lucky, haha.

iSuzie

Reaction score
No one has ever breed in that tank before and it has recently had a complete make over new coloured sand and a few new plants...
So its not a left over, plus i could tell the stage it was at when i got it out, when i looked up very close i could see a cracked appearance around it indicating it was about 4 hours old
Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum) - Embryonic developmental stages

Its been about 14 hours since i found it yesterday, over night it was quiet and dark but no more eggs have been layed..
So I'm beginning to think it might be the only one.. Or the last one left after the rest were eaten..
But there's no signs of jelly anywhere or anything on plants or in the sand.. When they lay egg's they usually make a mess with jelly and stuff on everything..
But I cant find a single bit of jelly other than what was around the one single egg

Is it possible for just one egg to be layed? :confused:
I am expecting more but so far absolutely nothing!
It really is a mystery

helobed

Reaction score
I have had my female lay a single egg (infertile) and then a couple of days later a whole lot more, maybe it just happens sometimes

iSuzie

Reaction score
So its possible for it to take a while before she lays the rest?
Because I really don't think there were others.. with absolutely no signs of any jelly on plants rocks or in the sand.
Should I maybe lower the water temp to see if that get's her to have the rest? Someone suggested to me to do that but i'm just not sure because I don't want to bother her or stress her at all..
And i'm not even sure witch her i'm talking about.. It could be one of 3 females all looking pretty fat right now lol!

danchristopher

Reaction score
One of my females laid about 3 or 4 eggs once and then none for several hours afterwards before then deciding to fill up the whole tank. So it's probably just a case of wait and see :)

iSuzie

Reaction score
Okay so I'm defiantly expecting more then :D

I shall wait and see what happens, and if they do come, I'm going to keep around 30 to hatch, and the re will be up to be re homed. Hopefully i can re home them all if not my mum wants to raise some egg's. she currently has had one of my egg's at her house and has hatched and raised it by her self.. just one little tiny single baby that she loves and she thinks she is up to hatching a bigger number lol

NooNoo Kz

Reaction score
Suzi, normally a week or so after your female lays, she distributes a few other eggs that arnt fertile at all they are just leftovers, as ours did. Keep that egg seperate and watch it to see if it forms or just compiles on itself. Dont be too worried as nothing is wrong. But this could also mean you may have another 400+ babies on the way as well, as they do lay eggs early and then lots the next morning.

iChris

Reaction score
maybe one of your axies sneezed and lost "control" of itself? haha

but it seems odd though but it probably is a axie egg as it's hard to confuse them with anything else.

iSuzie

Reaction score
Yes it is defiantly a axoltol egg lol
Iv been told by a few people now that some axolotls just take a while to continue laying so that's what i think has happened.
I'm expecting more and have a plan for if I end up with more, so everything is okay, im going to re home them or my mum is willing to raise her first lot lol

But I am still curious is it possible for an axolotl to just lay one egg.. Only one? :wacko:

iChris

Reaction score
they are funny creatures sometimes.

perhaps she was spooked and stopped laying, I know that cherry shrimp for example will drop their young if they are startled.

iSuzie

Reaction score
Well it would of been the case because i was disturbing the entire tank at the time trying to catch my 5 cherry shrimp to re locate them, that's when I found the egg. I have dark purple sand and the white egg stood out very clearly visible, so that how i found it and how I know there are no more, as they are so easy to see.

So its very possible that I completely startled her form all the movement of trying to catch the shrimp!

danchristopher

Reaction score
they are funny creatures sometimes.

perhaps she was spooked and stopped laying, I know that cherry shrimp for example will drop their young if they are startled.

I've been told tons of times that axolotls are fussy breeders when it comes to water conditions etc. etc. ... maybe your axolotl was like "Hey, this water is pretty nice and this tank is clean! I could lay an egg in here..." and then 2 minutes later changed her mind because she saw some axie poo or something which startled her :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1