New Reptomin - still good?

blinky000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I feed my axolotls a mix of things, one of the staple parts of their diet is Reptomin pellets. Well I got a new tub delivered this morning and they've changed the packaging. Where it used to say that it was a complete food for water turtles, it also said that it was good for newts etc too. They've removed all association with anything other than turtles now. Is it still suitable to give to the axolotls?

Chances are it's still the same recipe. You can call Tetra and ask.

Most turtles have a fairly omnivorous diet, where salamanders are completely carnivorous. Reptomin is forumulated for turtles, rather than salamanders, and contains things that your salamander doesn't need, like plant matter.

Do you have an old package that you can compare ingredients with?

I have used reptomin for years for my turtles, but recently have switched to the Omega One brand pellets, the first 3 ingredients are whole salmon, whole herring, and halibut. Which compare to reptomin's fish meal, sounds more appetizing. On the packaging it says that its for turtles, newts and frogs. As far as protein content, it beats most of the pellet brands out there.

Anything with 'meal' on the end of it is actually far from the actual animal. Its one of 'avoid if you can' things in the petfood industry. Its more likley boiled down blood, bone, and scales with little nutritional value left. Whole fish would be more nutritious, allthough considering salamanders eat their pray whole, it might not be a problem anyway.

As far as I've been able to find, it's the same ole product. It still contains at least 42.5% crude protein.

Ingredients:
Fish meal, wheat starch, dried yeast, corn flour, shrimp meal, wheat gluten, potato protein, dehulled soybean meal, soybean oil, monobasic calcium phosphate, L-lysine monohydrochloride, lecithin, algae meal, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized Vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, A-tocopherol-acetate, riboflavin-5-phosphate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin A palmitate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, cyanocobalamin, cholecalciferol, manganese sulfate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, cobalt nitrate, artificial colors, blue 2 lake, yellow 6 lake, and ethoxyquin as a preservative.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back