Can I leave my axolotl for five days?

richardj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Richard
I am going away for five days. Is that too long to leave my single, young(ish) axolotl for? I usually feed him a fat worm every two or three days. He is sucha greedy pig.

Any advice greatfully received.

Is there anyone you know who can pop in and drop a few pellets, or a worm in while your gone? We have a neighbor kid we pay to come in and do the pet check while we go away. The only thing he won't feed is the Tarantulas. For some reason, he doesn't like opening their terrariums to put food in. Go figure.

I would think the axolotl would be fine going a few extra days between meals, especially if it is a big, healthy individual.

I could get a friend, I just don't want to call in a favour if he will actually be fine to go hungry for a little while. I think I over-feed him as it is. How long would you feel comfortable to leave an axolotl for?

If water peramiters are fine and your tank is cycled and at a good temperature, i would feel comfortable with up to a week. They would just be particularly hungry when you came back. 5 days will be fine if you are feeding him every 2-3 days as is.

Often having an axolotl feeder while you are out is not a great idea, they tend to go waaaaaay overboard with feedings just in case, and it messes up the water quality, which is much worse than an axolotl going without food for a while.

If he is happy and healthy he should be fine

Thanks for that Rachel That is just what I wanted to hear. The water quality is fine and here in London temperature is not a worry. I think I will let him get a bit hungry, for once in his life!

Much appreciated,

Richard xx

I've left my adults for up to a week without any issues. Just make sure you don't feed right before you leave in case he vomits or poops. I usually feed the day before I go, and do a good clean in the morning, and wish them well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back