Gas bubble disease, ammonia, nitrate questions

EEVEE84

Reaction score
Country
England
Hello,
just out of curiosity:
what are the symptoms of gas bubble disease?how can an axie get it?how to cure it?Just got air stone with valve to regulate the flow can it cause bubble disease?

How to recognise nitrate/ammonia poisoning?is there a way to cure it?

I've been told u can't overfeed an axie but is it true? My Klaus eats like mad (frozen bloodworms) and his tummy looks full, he's only been with me for 3 weeks and he's still transparent but quite big and with back legs :) just wondering whether I'm feeding him too much but he does refuse or ignore food when he's full. Can he get ill from too much food?

Klaus looks healthy and happy and these r just precaution questions :)

Hello,
just out of curiosity:
what are the symptoms of gas bubble disease?how can an axie get it?how to cure it?Just got air stone with valve to regulate the flow can it cause bubble disease?

How to recognise nitrate/ammonia poisoning?is there a way to cure it?

I've been told u can't overfeed an axie but is it true? My Klaus eats like mad (frozen bloodworms) and his tummy looks full, he's only been with me for 3 weeks and he's still transparent but quite big and with back legs :) just wondering whether I'm feeding him too much but he does refuse or ignore food when he's full. Can he get ill from too much food?

Klaus looks healthy and happy and these r just precaution questions :)

The chance of Klaus getting gas bubble disease from an air stone are very slim. The bubbles from the airstone are large and mostly airate the water by breaking the surface tension of the water and allowing oxygen to dissolve via that agitation. Gas bubble disease is caused by a supersaturation of gases in the water (or so it is hypothesised) and by allowing gas to dissolve via the use of an airstone, you are also preventing supersaturation at the same time. Huzzah for systems prefering equilibrium! The only way supersaturated water could get into the tank to cause this issue is via the taps and all you need to do to prevent it is ensure that the water is "degassed" as you change the water. Let it sit for a bit, agitate it as you fill the tank, use a spraybar etc.

Ammonia poisoning would be easier to spot in axolotls then some other salamanders since they have exposed gills. Ammonia poisoning essentially comes down to burning and internal hemoraging. It will cause damage to the gills by causing them to become inflamed, You will most likely be able to see red streaking in the dorsal "fin" and in bad cases you may see evidence of the skin burning: excess mucous production and perhaps white blotches. The signs of ammonia burns healing are blackening of affected areas.

Nitrite poisoning is harder to detect and a bit more insidious. In fish keeping we refer to it as "brown blood disease" as it messes up oxygen uptake and the blood litterally looks brown from lack of oxygen. Concidering the fish version of carbon monoxide poisoning. In fish the gills will be brown, which is the tell tail sign. In an axie I imagine it would be the same if they normally have pink gills.

For both conditions your axie will have trouble breathing and will likely more to areas of higher flow and gasp at the surface of the water for air.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back