Gaining brownish spots?

oroxine

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Caity :)
So I recently bought a black axolotl, he was fully black, with some slight discoloration through him. However recently these spots have become much more prominent and lighter. Is this just a sign of maturing or something worse?

I have attached pictures, any idea would be great!! The one where he is with my other two axolotls was taken about two weeks ago and the one where he is by himself was taken yesterday :)

Attachments

• Picture 1 .jpg
    Picture 1 .jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Picture 2 .jpg
    Picture 2 .jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 158
Julia, is it me or is it asif this melanoid has Olive freckles?

Looks good :) nice pigment colors, and a beautiful wildtype indeed

Is Olive freckles rare? I just thought he was straight black is all =P Did he gain his spots because he was getting older?

What is the difference between the two? The supplier I got him from told me he was a melanoid.... I also have an albino and a albino golden (I think....)

So the spots are just because he is growing up?

What is the difference between the two? The supplier I got him from told me he was a melanoid.... I also have an albino and a albino golden (I think....)

So the spots are just because he is growing up?

Melanoid are all black with a lighter coloured belly, wildtypes vary from a very dark mottled colouring (like your first picture) to mottled browns, greens and greys.
If you brought the axolotl in the first picture at that size the breeder should have known better than to call it a melanoid, if you brought it at a couple of inches long and grew it on , the breeder could be forgiven in this assumption as both melanoids and wildtypes colours do not solidify till they get bigger.
The other axolotls in the picture are golden albino(nice colouring by the way) and albino, they are what you think.

Last edited:
Melanoids can be easily distinguished from wildtypes by looking for a shiny, reflective ring around the pupil. Wildtypes have a shiny ring; melanoids lack it. Melanoids tend to be darker, but aren't always. They also tend to have less mottling than wildtypes, as the same genes that cause a lack of iridophores (the shiny pigment) also cause a general decrease in xanthophores (yellow pigment).

Ok thanks guys :) I don't mind that he is a wildtype just as long as he is happy and healthy (which he is!)

Thanks again!

the confusion i think comes from the fact that wild types can be complete black like yours was. I have a total pitch black wildtype, i have heard them called hypermelanistic wilds.

Most references specify melanoids defying trait as being totaly black. I have been into axolotls for a year and was still confused about the shiny eye thing up untill about a month ago (i thought my black one was melanoid all this time), untill i actually got a melanoid and the difference in the eyes is quite apparent when you compare them. Ironicly my black wild type is much darker than my melanoid, who is a light greyish/brown. Most people would confuse them.

I think more information should be out there stating that wild types can be black, and melanoids can be brown, and that the only real determining factor is their eyes.

I have only ever seen black wild types around here, and i have seen a LOT of axolotls. (always thought they were melanoid) i like to watch them in the pet stors, they are starting to think i'm weird... anyway, i have never ever seen a green speckledy or brown wildtype before. Dark wilds must be excesive in the gene pool over here. How i would love a pretty green axie :)

Rachel provides a great point. Melanoids can come in a variety of colors, just as wildtypes can. I had a melanoid who was very purple as a juvenile, and grew up to be a dark grey-purple with silvery undersides and dalmation spots. I've had wildtypes range from greenish to almost black.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back