Newbie here with some questions about juvies

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Rupertxgiles
Hi guys,
This is my first post and we just got our first axolotl yesterday after many months of searching for one! I would like some clarification about keeping juvies together. We only bought him by himself because we kept hearing that juvies cannot be housed together. I am confused about this because it seems like a lot of people on the forum have more than one juvie in a setup.....any advice on this? Thanks!

Hey welcome to the forum!
You are doing the right thing by researching!
Now when it comes to juvi's they CAN be homed together if they have enough hides and plastic plants to create separate area's of the tank.
Now with that being said the best way to insure nothing go's wrong and no nips are taken out of each other is this..

Firstly make sure they are the same size, when it comes to juvi's they shouldn't be anything over a 1cm in difference.
Secondly design the tank to suit them as well as keep it simple for cleaning purposes.
{eg hides and plastic plants for them to escape each other, and ensure there is alot of room for them}
Thirdly food.. well feed juvi's tend to be less aggressive and will be happier with another juvi.

Also one more thing to note when picking the second one, wild type larvae are more aggressive to none wild type larvae especially albino and leucistic larvae. So assuming its the same with juvi's.
Although they should be fine when put together it might be a good idea to get ether 2 wild type or 2 leucistic or one leucistic and one albino.. of course this is completely up to you. :D

So as long as they are the same size have plenty of hides and lots of room and are well feed they should be fine together! Good luck :D

Hi

How old are your babies? mine are only a couple of months old (they have their front legs, but not the back ones yet)
because mine are still little, i've decided to keep them in a tupperware container. they are doing fine so far. no cannibalism as of yet. since they don't move very much, they don't really bump into each other. plus, if you keep enough food in the tank, they should be fed, fat, and happy:)
although, i'll prob put them in a bigger tank when they are older. it's up to you. if you want to keep them in a huge tank when their only little, and create alot of work for your self, you can lol. as long as they have enough room to roam, they should be fine...............in my opinion;)

All the previous information is good, you also need to keep an eye out for bite injuries and juvies who get bigger than their tankmates. A missing limb on a juvie will temporarily retard its growth,potentially making it smaller than its tankmates so you may have to seperate it to avoid predation or more injuries. One batch of eggs may end up seperated into several tanks due to size differences, my last batch of wildtypes has a size range of 2" to 6", if i kept them together i probally wouldnt have a 2" ones left.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back