Need help with temperature!!

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Rupertxgiles
So we got our new axle baby Giles recently, and even though its fall, it has been almost 80 degrees where we live. His temp keeps rising to 75 and I'm panicking. I keep switching him between 2 tanks that I have, constantly taking out and adding cold water..any suggestions to keep him below 75..?? We live on the 3rd floor so keeping him in a basement is not an option...should we keep him in th fridge or is that crazy..??lol any input would be great!

Ok first of all taking out water, and replacing it with cold water is a terrible method. Sudden and drastic changes in almost any aspect of the water is bound to create stress. In your situation these waterchanges are going to create fast and drastic changes in temp, which is going to stress out your axolotls.
I recommend either freezing waterbottles, and switching them out fast enough to keep the temp stable, or to get a mesh screen lid on your tank and put a fan on it(what I'd suggest). That's what I personally do, and it lowers my temp at least by 5 degrees if not more. Keeping him in the fridge is a possibility, but you won't be able to see him, and you'll have to do daily waterchanges with water the same temp as the tub water on a daily basis. Also he won't eat/grow very much do to the lowered metabolism. I think suggesting fridging has become a catch all on the forum, and I think people are a little too eager to suggest it. In your situation I'd try the mesh lid/fan strategy, and see how that works.

You could also have the tank as close to the floor as possible and out of direct sunlight, any room with ac would be good, failing that a room with a through draft to aid evaporation. Whats your house humidity like? evaporation may not be your solution in a humid enviroment. If youve got the cash an aquarium chiller would solve your problem.

Thanks for the responses. The next few days here are supposed to reach almost 80, and we are on the 3rd floor in an attic apartment. I think from Wednesday on, we will be in the 60s, so until then had to clear a nice big spot in the fridge for him and his 10 gallon tank haha. The temp in the fridge is 51 degrees farenheiht. I tried keeping him on the floor in my bathroom, the coolest room. Unfourtunately he still was at 75 so I figured he would be a lot safer in the fridge. We are moving in a month to a first floor apartment with air conditioning, so our problems will be solved then! He will also be moving into a much larger tank, which I would like to cycle first and possibly add a buddy :D

The fridge is a good place for him.

Good luck with the move!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back