Photo: Update on my huge 6x2x2 Tank build

MereB

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Meredyth
Ok so It's been 3 months since I started my 6x2x2 so I though I'd share what it all looks like now after a few months growing time.
And since I was taking pics of hubby's shrimp tank last night I thought why not take a few of mine while I'm here ;)

You can find the original build thread here http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ate/76744-new-huge-tank-build-stay-tuned.html if you want to read about it from the very beginning and to compare changes.

My inbuilt filter and water flow dispersal idea is working better than I could have hoped. It's filter 2000L per hour but the only visible water movement is right around the intake and having taken readings from all over the tank I'm happy that there are no dead spots where the water is stagnating and chemicals could build up which is wonderful.

It now houses all 8 of my axies.
Dillon and Chrysta moved in a month ago now and still not a single gill or limb missing from anyone. Fish moved in 2 weeks before that when the babies grew to be almost the same size as her. So it now houses Dillon and Chrysta with their oldest daughter Fish and her younger brothers and sister Fast, Hoo-Dee-Nee, Rukmini, Violet and Leopard.
They've also managed to find an additional 4 hiding places on top of the 7 I built into it to start with.

OK Pics because let's face it that's what you came to look at ;)

The whole tank
2aerplt.jpg

Right hand end and the fave place to hang out. You'll usually find at least 3 axies all crammed into the hide in this corner :rolleyes:
2v8mu05.jpg

The Tree and filter hill. Replaced the bubble river with flexible air tube stuff.
2l8wzdj.jpg

Built in hides to the left of the center cave. If you look closely you'll see Hoo-Dee. The mark that looks like a shiny eye is actually a mark on the glass that's just below her eye.
2qsv5v7.jpg

The center cave
9r50sj.jpg

I also have 2 blue light tubes now (a birthday present thank you boys :happy: ) so got some video of my little guys eating some pellets.
You can see Violet have a sniff of Dillon then move away to find another pellet. This is pretty typical of my guys and is probably a large part of why I haven't had any biting incidents so far. Touch Wood

Not sure why it's added 2 copies but it won't let me delete the 2nd one :(
watch

I'm jelly.

I have that same floating plant in a smaller shrimp tank. the roots almost touch the bottom! I tried it in my axie tank too but it died back fast.

Nice looking tank, put some pics up in a few months when the plants have grown on, it would be interesting to compare them. I was going to get a six foot tank but my wife threatened to divorce me lol, if i show her your tank she might change her mind!

@Chris :rofl: I've had to pull a whole bucket full of that plant out of there. It had multiplied and covered the whole surface.

Nice looking tank, put some pics up in a few months when the plants have grown on, it would be interesting to compare them. I was going to get a six foot tank but my wife threatened to divorce me lol, if i show her your tank she might change her mind!
Thank you.
LOL it's worth a shot ;) sounds like she may need a little more convincing though.
It's grown quite a lot already but there will definitely be more pics as is grows more. This was never a short term project.
OK because I can and to make it a little easier to see it's progression
First setup without plants
June 26th
whjxxc.jpg

July 3rd
mkggn6.jpg

July 31st
25s2afb.jpg

Today September 26th
2aerplt.jpg

Your tank is gorgeous! I wish I could get plants to grow in mine like that, but they just tend to die :(. Do you have alot of natural daylight, or do you use a daylight bulbs?

I was going to get a six foot tank but my wife threatened to divorce me lol, if i show her your tank she might change her mind!

Lol! I thought if I suggested it that the other half would like to use it as my coffin, however he bought me one and he still doesn't like the axies!

Mereb, your tank looks beautiful! The plants are growing really well and so happy looking axies :)

It looks gorgeous Mere, really really nice!

Hi can I ask did you have the actual tank made up specially or did you purchaseof the shelf. The only 6foot tanks in the Uk seem to cost thousands.
Your set up looks awesome bet the axies will love the caves and plants.

Awww thanks guys. The axies love it. They have a few guppies and Red Cherry Shrimp that they seem to enjoy stalking when they get bored and it's a past time that Fast in particular seems to enjoy.

Your tank is gorgeous! I wish I could get plants to grow in mine like that, but they just tend to die :(. Do you have alot of natural daylight, or do you use a daylight bulbs?
This tank gets very little natural light. This is a fairly well lit room but the sun never actually shines directly into.
I've got 4 4ft tubes running on the tank for 8-10 hours a day. 2 blue tubes that double as the night time light until I go to bed and switch it all off and 2 of the usual aquarium tubes I'd have to ask hubby what they were exactly but I know they are nothing fancy. The do have a slightly purple colour to them though.

Hi can I ask did you have the actual tank made up specially or did you purchaseof the shelf. The only 6foot tanks in the Uk seem to cost thousands.
I go mine second hand and it's just got a plain pine stand. I was built for teh guy we bought it from but a guy my husband knows and it has a thicker than usual base as it was originally a salt water tank and it had to cope with a heap of rock being placed in it.
Had I bought it new with the standard base and same stand I would have been looking at paying around the $1000 mark but it's a fairly common/standard size for a tank and most of the better stores here carry them or can order them in so unless you're looking at a nicely finished stand with cupboards and a matching hood etc it shouldn't cost you thousands. I looked at stand the other day for it and the tank with the beautiful stand and hood I liked was still under $2000. That is, of course, in Australia and I wouldn't care to guess what the difference could be in the UK. I do know though that your currency is stronger than ours but quite a bit which would in theory translate into cheaper products!? Only a theory of course ;)

Mere.

WOW that looks amazing ! what are the plants floating on top with their roots hanging down ??

I got mine for £25! :D The cheap ones do exist, have a look in the fish forums for second hand ones.

I'm jelly.

I have that same floating plant in a smaller shrimp tank. the roots almost touch the bottom! I tried it in my axie tank too but it died back fast.

What is this floating plant?
I would love some for exactly this purpose (my shrimp tank) :D I can just imagine them loving to hang off of it, haha.

Mere your tank looks amazing! I am also jealous, wish I had the room for something like this. And everything seems like it's grown so much in 3 short months!

what are the plants floating on top with their roots hanging down ??
What is this floating plant?
I would love some for exactly this purpose (my shrimp tank) :D I can just imagine them loving to hang off of it, haha.
Thanks guys for all the kind words :happy:

That little guy, welll not so little really, is CERATOPTERIS PTERIDOIDES
It's an awesome plant and grows REALLY fast. The axies love sitting in the roots of the bigger ones when they stretch half way down the tank so I would guess that the shrimp will absolutely LOVE hiding in them too.

The axies love sitting in the roots of the bigger ones when they stretch half way down the tank...

I might have to consider getting one for my axie tank as well then ;)

What type of lighting do you use? Gorgeous tank!!

I've got 4 4ft tubes running on the tank for 8-10 hours a day. 2 blue tubes that double as the night time light until I go to bed and switch it all off and 2 of the usual aquarium tubes I'd have to ask hubby what they were exactly but I know they are nothing fancy. The do have a slightly purple colour to them though.
Mere.

The tank has been stripped since than as I had a mishap with the tank (youngest son putting toilet cleaner into it to "Clean the Axies toilet") and is now a Discus tank after all my axies died. :(

Oh no! May the axies rest in peace! Are you considering getting some more 'lotls in the future? I also owe you a massive thank you for sharing your journey with this tank- many of the techniques I've used on my 6ft, although it's ended up looking more "Underwater pond garden" than your "Garden that happened to be underwater"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back