Axolotl handling

Tait

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
My axolotl is to young to handle at the moment but i think when he is older it will be practical to feed him outside the tank in a container. how do i introduce him to being handled?

it's not really a good idea to handle axolotls. their skin is very sensitive, and you might damage it, or stress it out. some people handle theirs, but, like i said, it's not advisable.

if you really need to move it, do it like would when you remove it from the tank for cleaning, i guess? what kind of food are you feeding it? are you worried the food your feeding it will make the water dirty? my axolotls are only babies atm too, but i find Daphnia do the trick nicely and aren't messy at all. when they are older, i will feed them salmon pellets to begin with. they create minimal mess because the axie will just suck it into it's mouth whole:). you also don't need to remove the axolotl from it's current home to feed it. if you did, it would prob become stressed out:(

Feeding in a seperate container whilst young is not uncommon, use a jug or container to remove him from his tank rather than using your hands, or you could choose to hand feed him with earth worms to avoid the mess made by bloodworm etc.

mine are slightly older than yours by the sound of it they are eating bloodworm's and they are very messy i keep finding little scraps that are growing mould

i will try feeding him worms ty

mine are slightly older than yours by the sound of it they are eating bloodworm's and they are very messy i keep finding little scraps that are growing mould

It is advisable to remove all uneaten food to keep your water quality good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back