Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Is my axolotl blind, or is this normal behavior?

bwidjaja1

Reaction score
Hi,
I don't know if this is normal behavior or not, but my axolotl, has been randomly swimming around the tank, hitting the glass on either side. Is this normal? Also, I have plenty of hides, but I've never seen it go in them. Every time I look at him, he is just swimming around and hitting things. I'm hoping this is normal :( Thanks in advance.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Its quite normal for axolotls to swim into the glass, excessive activity may be a sign of poor water quality(so check that) or it just maybe you have an active axolotl. Are your axolotls eyes cloudy? because that may be a sign of eye damage.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
They have very limited eye sight. They would never make it as fighter pilots. Mine bang around in their tank all the time. Any little thing spooks them. That is why I make sure there is nothing hard in my tank for them to crash into. It's also why they should be kept in the longest tank you can afford. Height is not as important as length.

bwidjaja1

Reaction score
Ok thanks a lot guys. I'm relieved :) I'm pretty sure his just very active. I think he was maybe stressed since I got him only yesterday, but currently he isn't smashing into the glass... much :) So thanks a lot guys.

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Axi's have REALLY bad eyesight... mine couldn't see a worm 2cm in front of her face I'm sure. You should see her trying to catch fish... its frustrating!!!

Also if your temp is going toward the higher side of the axi's preferred range you'll see more activity

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!