Illness/Sickness: Bloated lotl hasn't eaten for 3 weeks and poops weird stuff

Jones

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
Fabienne
I've had my two axolotls for a year now. They live in a 160l. planted tank with lots of hiding spaces. Three weeks ago one of them stopped eating. One week ago his belly started to swell up and now there comes a jellylike substance out of his cloaca. I've also noticed a change in his behaviour. He was always the one that hid itself all day. For the past week he has been sitting in plain sight all day. Could anyone please tell me what could be wrong with my little guy and how I can help him?

The tank parameters are fine. No measurable ammonia/ nitrite. The other axolotl behaves and looks normal.

Attachments

• DSC_0403.jpg
    DSC_0403.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 30,082
  • DSC_0404.jpg
    DSC_0404.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 2,397
Hi Jones,

Could you advise on the axolotl's diet (all foods fed to them), and how often you feed them?

I feed them mainly on earthworms (not compost worms) whenever they're hungry. Usually 4 or 5 times a week. Once every 2 weeks I feed them shrimp.

The water temperature is constant between 19 and 20 degrees C.

After reading a lot of topics I put him in the fridge at 5 degrees C. yesterday because I thought there might be something stuck in it's bowels. I went to check on him 10 minutes ago and he pood more jelly stuff.

Am I doing the right thing?

Could you post a pic of it, and a few more pics of your axolotl from the side . What substrate do you use? Are you sure that he is a male?

SAM_2745.jpg

SAM_2747.jpg

SAM_2748.jpg
Didn't want to stress him out too much to make the pic's, so this is the best I can do for now. He's tail looks a bit inflamed, doesn't it?

I use sand as a substrate.

Pretty sure he's a male.
Here's a video I made 6 weeks ago. Looks like a male to me, but I could be wrong?
Dahmerxx's Channel - YouTube

Thanks for the extra pictures. I am wondering if your axolotl may be a little over fed, but having said that, if its not eaten for three weeks I'd have expected him to be smaller. I'm not sure if he may be a she. I think I would continue fridging for a bit longer and see. My lighter coloured axolotl would get a pinker tail area when egg laying, or defecating. There is possibility that one of the small stones may have been consumed and could be causing a problem.
Their tank is lovely.

Thanks for your response. I'm glad I don't have to worry about the tail. I'll keep him fridged till he looks better. Hopefully it's not too serious, I feel very guilty.
What if he turns out to be a she, could she have problems with egglaying?

Thanks for the compliment! I've worked very hard to make the tank look natural and comfortable for my axie's.

Here's a pic of what the tank now looks like
SAM_2690.jpg

Hi I am no expert but alot of what has been described would in any other type of animal have something to do with breeding. The jelly substances does not sound like a food issue.
It could be a prelude surely to egg laying or even spermozodes if a male.
Come on someone who knows lots about breeding should be able to offer an answer.

I just checked on him and he seems to be fine. He pooped a lot, but didn't eat the earthworm I put in for him. I feel really bad for him being there alone and cold :(.

I'm still pretty sure he's a male. He's got dark tips on his toes and he's got 'balls'.

That's how they live in nature, cold and alone.

Pooping is a good sign! And don't be discouraged that he didn't eat. That's common with fridging.

Haha, I know but I still feel bad for him.

I'll keep putting a worm in there with him daily, just in case he gets hungry. Any idea on when I can take him out of the fridge? Maybe when he stops pooping?

Oh wow those are some chubby axolotls... I though my girl was chubby.

I'm not convinced that the white one is male, the cloaca seems quite small for a male.

My Axolotl's gotten worse and now my other axie suffers the same symptoms. Isn't there anyone who can help me out? They are both pooping jellylike brown and transparent stuff and they don't eat at all. The leucistic axie hasn't eaten for 6 weeks and the wildtype hasn't eaten for 3 weeks. Their bellies also look bloated.

there have been similar threads with these symptoms... bloating and weird poop, which turned out to be a parasite. If it doesn't get better soon maybe try a parasite treatment? If it is not parasite, it can't do much harm anyway.

I had an axie who died all bloated. Pooped weird like you said. Also didn't eat. Then another axie stopped eating and pooped weird and died. Then Xotl was getting the same problem and then I found out that it was an internal parasite (at least, I'm like 95% sure of that).

So if you think they have parasites... I tried a treatment (I used Colombo Cerpofor Flagellex) and it really worked well to me. His poo got normal again and he started to eat again. He also got a little belly because he became pretty thin.
Just wanted to share this.

Thank you both very much for the information! This is really helpful!

I'll try to find the meds you used and start the treatment.

@ Morrison
Did it take long for the Axies to die? Mine have been struggling with it for over a month, so I would like to know if there is any chance of saving them.

Hm I guess they had it for a while (being thin and pooping weird and not eating), but after a month or so I noticed that they got pretty worse in about one to two weeks. They got even thinner, gills were shrinking (the frills were almost gone), not even pooping at all, and even fungus on their skin because they are so weak.
Luckily I had enough time to save Xotl.

I put the prescribed dose of Colombo Cerpofor Flagellex in the tank two days ago. Today I should do a 25% water change and put the filter back on, but just now I found the leucistic axie floating! What am I supposed to do now? I feel so bad for him!

By now I am considering to euthanize my lotls. They seem to get worse and worse.. the medication didn't help, freezing didn't help.. They look pretty unhappy to me. The leucistic lotl hasn't eaten for 8 weeks now. This is no life for them.

Is there anyone who can help me out. Maybe a cure no one else has thought of?

@ Morrison
Did you do a 2 day treatment or did you repeat the treatment with Colombo Cerpofor Flagellex?

Sad to read that it didn't work...yet. Don't give up. Right now I have a young axie who doesn't want to eat as well. *Sigh* Things can get pretty frustrated sometimes.

I only did the 2 day treatment and I noticed that Xotl started to pooped perfectly a day after the treatment was finished. He also ate a worm the same day.

Maybe you can repeat the treatment. I've also read about two types of internal 'problems'. Flagellates and stuff and also worms. Maybe it's worth a try to treat them with Colombo Dactycid. It contains levamisole, which is (as far as I know, and I've read it a couple of times) safe for axies. Works for internal and external worms.

Maybe there's a vet near you who can help you out. Maybe this might work. On this website is a list of (reptile and probably amphibians and other 'unusual pets') vets, and a few in Noord-Brabant:
Noord-Brabant

I really hope this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back