Photo: Strange skin condition

blinky000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my special little girl, Lucie, who was raised by us. She's about 18 months old and is the friendliest axolotl I've owned. However, she's had a very interesting skin condition her whole life. It makes her skin look a more intense white in most places and she has like a ring on her head. In all my years keeping axolotls, I've never seen anything like it. I'm almost certain it's a genetic thing but what is it?

DSCF2009.jpg

DSCF2010.jpg

What do you feed her?

She has a mix of trout pellets, reptomin and the odd veggie here and there

Seems okay to me, although I'm not totally convinced with turtle food
I really have no idea now actually, it almost looks like a bloodvessel to me

Your axolotl certainly is unique and very interesting! Please do not feed you axolotl vegetables as they are strictly carnivorous and this could cause health problems. I'm sure axolotls must inadvertantly swallow some aquatic vegetation from time to time but its not part of their normal diet. Please tell us some more about your one off axolotl as I'm really interested? At what age did you notice it's skin was different?

Regards Neil

I was told the odd bit of broccoli was good for them to prevent and treat constipation =/
She's had skin like this as long as we can remember. It just seems to look thicker in some places so it becomes less transparent than a normal leucistic. Even though the skin kind of looks baggy on her head, it's as jelly like and solid as any other part of her.
She definitely a strange one. The second she sees you, she moves to wherever you are as quickly as she can. Needless to say, she's easy to hand feed!

How interesting :D I think the only way you may find out is for a vet to have a look.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back