Which water conditioner?

oroxine

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Caity :)
Not sure if this is in the right section but anyway....

I've been using Prime, but just bought some API stress coat to try (although I still have another bottle of prime) and was wondering what conditioners you all use and recommend?

I'm sure that there are other conditioners as well :)

Just wondering what you all use/recommend?

Thank you :)

Hi Caity,

That's a good question; I've been using Safe Start from Vitapet and it just dawned on me that I have no idea if that's safe for axolotls. It says on the container that it neutralises toxic heavy metals and removes chlorine and chloramine from tap water. It says its safe for all aquatic life but does not mention amphibians (hopefully they are classified as one in the same) I also have to add a small amount of PH Down because the levels in our town water are really high for some reason.

I'm sure it should be ok as axies are aquatic :) The thing about prime and API is they regenerate slime coat which assists with healing or something.... Although I'm sure others do this to as fish have slime coats as well I think :)

Sucks about the pH down! When I do my water changes I just fill up a tub with hose water and one tub of hot water as ATM our hose water is freezing!! A tiny bit of conditioner and in!

Just be careful with the pH down as from what I've read axies can tolerate most pHs and messing with it can cause more problems then solutions! But I'm sure you are being careful :)

Me again, just did a quick search through the forums and found a thread called "Which kinda water conditioner is safe for axies ?" I think the Safe Start is OK to use !

Just be careful with the pH down as from what I've read axies can tolerate most pHs and messing with it can cause more problems then solutions! But I'm sure you are being careful :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks a bunch Caity, I think I will do some tests on the tap water and just check it again. The last time I did that it turned a fluro blue colour that was not even on the chart lol..maybe the test thingy is wrong...I'm off to the pet store tomorrow so I think I will get them to check it for me.

The Safe Start also says that it forms a slime coat as well. ;)

Yay! The API says it is healing with the aloe too, the prime also says it's healing and it takes out nitrates, (even though I've still been getting nitrate reading on my tests)

It's all a bit confusing haha. But I'm sure your pet store will be able to help! Did you use the dipsticks? Apparently they can be a bit inaccurate and the drop tests are better :)

Yep used the drop tests; :) So what is API sounds good, can you get it from the pet stores ?

API stands for aquarium pharmaceuticals (although i had to google that and unsure of what the I stands for) Welcome to API - API is their website if you want to check more of their stuff out :) I have their drip nitrite and nitrate tests :)

API and Prime have been pretty much the only water conditions I could find over several aquarium stores, not sure about pet shops though :) however if you google majestic aquariums and go onto their website they ship aus wide and their pricing online is MUCH better then instore, there is a bunch of sites like that :) although I'm sure hat you have is fine! If you ask your petstore they may be able to order some in even?

Just be aware that any dechlorinator that has aloe or 'heals' slime coats will add extra bioload to your tank.

Aquarium Answers, Pond; Fish Articles, Question, Answer: Aquarium Water Conditioners is a GREAT INFORNATIVE WEBSITE!!!

Sorry, got a little excited there :p the only thing it doesn't mention is the cost, prime can be SUPER expensive, hence why I bought a bottle of stress coat. The article says that prime is better for establishing and API will be fine once it is cycled.

I've just added a java moss wall in my tank and it is making my readings a bit funny so hopefully that'll sort itself out (I think the readings are also because it HOPEFULLY nearly cycled as ive had it about a month now and still not up to once a week changes yet!)

I use prime and I wouldn't use anything else. It works, its highly recommended for axolotls, and I can easily find it.

I find it very hard to find dechlorinator that does not have extras in it :(

bioload is biological matter in your tank... like alovera extracts or something that will add a slime coating. Kaysie gives warning because this bioload is adding extra nutrients in your tank wich can harm water quality by adding extra waste when it decays, as well as promoting algae growth. The chances are if you have a sutable filter for your tank that is well cycled there will be no need to worry.

I find it very hard to find dechlorinator that does not have extras in it :(

bioload is biological matter in your tank... like alovera extracts or something that will add a slime coating. Kaysie gives warning because this bioload is adding extra nutrients in your tank wich can harm water quality by adding extra waste when it decays, as well as promoting algae growth. The chances are if you have a sutable filter for your tank that is well cycled there will be no need to worry.

What dechlorinator do you use rachel? I've been using NovAqua Plus, but I stopped a little while ago when I started feeling uneasy about the slime coat addition (been using that for about a month and a half)...I just switched to API water conditioner and it only detoxifies chlorines and heavy metals (chloramines too if you add a smidge more)

At the moment i am using Nutrafin Aqua Plus

nutrafin-aqua-plus-500ml-dechlorinator-3547-p.jpg

It removes chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals and improves slime coat.
I usually get a cheap home brad one from Kmart which only removes chlorine/chlorimine but they only sell it in teeny bottles. I dont mind the extras, the slime is good for the axies skin, but i like to keep anything i put in the tank as nutrient free as possible. Its really not a big deal at all, i'm just anal. Also the cheaper one is bright blue, and easier to mesure the right amount, unlike aqua plus which is clear.

The slime coat addition doesn't harm them does it rachel? My axie has tiny, tiny bumps on her head and body (I think its just part of her), but I stopped because I heard some may have allergies to them, I'm probably just being a fool though lol

Same as yellowpebble I use Nutrafin Aqua Safe. I've used Prime and Amquel as well with no problems.

I have also been told that aloe can be toxic to axolotls and salamander larvae because of their sensitive skin. Not sure though. Is API Stress Coat, Stress Zyme and API Tap Water Conditioner safe to use in my water dogs (tiger salamander larvae) tank?
It wont harm her? I am trying to find some not so expensive water detoxifiers and cleaners that are safe for my water dog. Its hard to keep her tank water from smelling with the really small bottle of aquasafe ive been using. I have hard water so its hard to keep the water decent. Constant partial water changes. So im going theough a good amout of aquasafe. I also have fish so i have seperate water treatments as well. I wanted to know if itd be safe to use TopFin bacteria suppliment, API stress coat and API tap water conditioner with my salamander larvae... ive been hearing here and there not to use things with aloe vera in it with axolotls and salamander larvae...anyone know if this is true....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back