Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Run more than 20 hours but still alive???

Black leaves

Reaction score
One of my paddletail climb away this morning, thanks to god, he came out back from toilet bowl after more than 20 hours, he run where he think he might escape from me... its really intresting for me to find out how long they can survive wihout so much water, and when im pick him up, he still active... (sigh) (-_-!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Black leaves

Reaction score
every time i forgot to slosed the tank he will slip out when im a sleep, this salamander has pretty good inteligence since they have cases to staring at their own owner... :eek:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a rule for myself. I never "walk away" from a tank with the lid open. Even if I am coming back to the tank in 2 seconds, I still close the lid, walk to the other side of the room, then re-open it when I come back to it. I'm totally compulsive about this.

Black leaves

Reaction score
yeah, i just move them to new aquarium, so the setup was late and not really ready, and i forgot that they can climb the glass just stickking thier bodies to the glass, it said that if you cant this guys after 2 hours, they will be a gonner, but suprisngly they still manage to live after 20 hours with very little water...

Viv

Reaction score
I have a rule for myself. I never "walk away" from a tank with the lid open. Even if I am coming back to the tank in 2 seconds, I still close the lid, walk to the other side of the room, then re-open it when I come back to it. I'm totally compulsive about this.

Yeah me too. Every time I open one of my tanks to feed the inhabitants and then close the lid I walk away and then like 5 seconds later I sprint back to check if I closed it.

totallyrad

Reaction score
i would suggest ALWAYS closing the lid when you leave no matter for how long.

I lost a very great pet because I walked away with the lid off :-(
just some advice, I also have a paddletail who is an escape artist, he's so sneaky.

as for your newt, if he seems okay then he probably is. I would just watch him for the next few days.

Black leaves

Reaction score
yeah, agree, i lost 1 of my fire belleys once and it hurt real bad, does this padle tail needs large land for them??? this 20 hours escape makes me think again on their behavior on land.... :confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!