Brand loyalty?

Do you have brand loyalty?

• Yes - if so post in comments to what brand

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Maybe -I haven't particularly gone out of my way but brand loyalty could still affect me.

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • No. I just chose a product that works, is durable and fairly priced, not by brand.

Votes: 17 65.4%

• Total voters

oroxine

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Caity :)
I have been reading through the forum/the Internet on water conditioners over different brands and then branched out to other products such as testing kits and so on, what I've found is that the majority of the super popular products are either API Or seachem (feel free to correct me however) and I could find a lot of die hard enthusiasts for both, so I was wondering if anyone on here had any particular loyalty and if so - to what brand?

I've used products by both and am equally happy :)

i chose maybe,partly because im new to all this having things in tanks setup....all my other animals have fur.
Currently im using tetra for my tank,and API for testing.

I have absolutely no loyalty to brands (except Dr. Pepper!).

When it comes to things like decorations or dechlorinators, they're all basically the same. I go with whatever gets the job done effectively and costs the least.

As far as filters and stuff go, I don't really have brand loyalty. However, Seachem Prime is the only conditioner I use. I like how it converts ammonia into a safer version as well (I tested it). It just seems to be the best, but I'm no expert.

Diet Dr. Pepper I mostly use API tap water conditioner. I think water conditioners with things like aloe added might add to biomass and slow down cycling.

I am really fussy about products, and so end up reading as many reviews as I can find, then dither some more. If I buy something by a particular brand, and it turns out to be great, I will be more likely to buy from that brand again. A non-animal related example is the fact that all but 1 of the phones I have had in the past have been Samsung

I'm not too fussed when it comes to water conditioners and such, but for hardware, I've had some great Aqua One branded stuff. in fact, my dad runs a aqua one canister filter on his 6ft tropical tank, and it's been running constantly for almost 7 years.

My axie tank is a Aqua pro bowfront tank and it's great too. paid $300 AUD for it, brand new and it came with a stand with doors, a hood with 2 fluro lamps (which I don't use anyway) and a bult in trickle filter. it's a 25G tank.

another DDP addict*

sometimes when I need some gadget or product I obsessively read all the reviews on all the aquarium boards, only to finally succumb to a bad case of retail-fatigue. Then I just give up and buy the first damn thing that comes up on amazon. And usually, it works just fine.

when it comes to ice cream, however, I will only tolerate Haagen Dasz Mint Chip. All other ice cream tastes like pond scum by comparison.

* DDP = diet Dr Pepper

Both seachem and API have a good range of products from water conditioners to tank stabilizers. Since they have been readily available for years people gravitate to those brands. I have seen other brands expand their lines over the years to meet customers needs. In my opinion there isn't one that stands out from the rest as being the best you can get. When it comes to water conditioner, I get what ever is on sale. With reptiles and amphibians, all you really need is something to take the chlorine out. Same thing with reptisafe, its a lot more cheaper to get an aquarium conditioner then a bottle of reptisafe, and you get the same results.

I've found Seachem and API to be the most widely available at my various LFS and they are often the two recommended by the staff.
I'm not necessarily loyal to either, I've used both and had no problems with either; for this reason alone I'd probably buy them again unless they were unavailable.

And diet drinks are super bad for you! Which is why I am a regular Dr. Pepper loyalist - if only it was more readily available in Australia! D:

I really like the Seachem flourish and as far as equipment goes, my fluval 205 does an amazing job :)
very pleased with that purchase although I wouldn't have bought it new (I got mine still in box off craigslist for $50 haha) Other than that really I just use what I think would work best. Often I go for the cheap stuff because like most things brand is usually insignificant but there are exceptions. Some brands just naturally appeal to me and I don't know why. Like Zoo Med for instance, I just love most of their products.

is there a diet dr pepper in uk? API products are expensive havent tried any of them but might in the future as lots of people praise it :) i use tetra conditioner, aqua one tank and filter and water safe friendly bacteria

As far as filters and stuff go, I don't really have brand loyalty. However, Seachem Prime is the only conditioner I use. I like how it converts ammonia into a safer version as well (I tested it). It just seems to be the best, but I'm no expert.

not sure if they sell it in uk but it sounds so good! i wish i had it!:eek:

Coca~Cola

Nuff said.

I use microbe lift stress relief water conditioner with aloe vera, its never done me wrong, however i dont really go that much on water conditioners they all do the same things but it is really good for stress and it removes metals as well as chlorines/chloromines.

Any microbe lift products are good for saltwater or fresh, whether bottled bacteria or special blend the stuff specially developed to cycle your tank which smells bad :)

As for filters i am loyal to sera, the best in my opinion and their filter media is sintered glass or siporax which contains more surface area than anything else for bacteria to grow ;)

I always find myself partial to Prime for water conditioners and API as far as other things like test kits and medications (medications only used on my fish, not my axie xD) They both seemed to have worked best for me, especially API over other medications for my fish.

I have some things I regularly buy.. but i'm always gonna test the new products for curiosity sake.

Terrapin food - tetrafauna/reptamin

water test kit - API

My river tank gets Ocean Nutrition food.

And I do love me some Hikari though they can be spendy.

But things like water conditioner, algae wafers, feeder foods, tanks, decorations, filtration equipment... I have no set team I buy from. I do have a few I avoid due to bad experiences in the past, but for the most part it all has to do with price.

The "ammonia locking" properties of Prime are actually a disadvantage, not a boon.
Why? Well, if your tank is cycled, you don't need anything to lock up the ammonia. In fact, you WANT your water to contain a very small amount of ammonia, because without it, the bacteria that convert it into nitrite have no food source. So your axolotls produce ammonia all the time, even when you change the water, but if the Prime is grabbing it as soon as it enters the water, what are the bacteria to eat?
Either Prime grabs all the ammonia, which reduces your bacterial colony, or it only grabs a small amount of it, in which case the function is pretty much pointless.
Prime's major selling point is actually something that sounds good but only if you don't think it through. If you have enough ammonia in your water that you need a product to remove it, your tank isn't cycled.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back