1 gill curled forward

Cecilia

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey guys
Ive been keeping a close eye on my axie and he doesnt seem to be exhibiting any other signs of stress with the exception that one of his gills is curling forward...the other set lays normal but on one side one of the gills curls forward...I would post a picture but cant seem to get a good one. tank parameters are fine......extremely low flow, and nice and cool(I have a chiller). Could it just be he cannot control his gills????or is he possibly stressed?

Odd gills are very normal in axolotls. Some say its because they are so inbred they can sometimes get odd body parts. A few of my axolotls gill stalks point the wrong way! I have heard others say their axolotls even have naturally curly gills even when they are not stressed.

wow I never knew that....thanks I was hoping it wasnt something serious

My golden albino has 1 funny gill too. It curls forward all the time, and has done since we got him. No other signs of stress etc and is generally a very chilled out axie. I just put it down to one of his eccentric quirks.

often it will be a part that was bitten of earlier in life and grew back funny :)

i have an axolotl with two whole hands on the end of one leg.

mine's gills curl forward when I feed them. They also twitch in the direction of the food, its almost like they're using them for a radar dish. There's no reason for stress, its just what mine do when they get excited about something.

One of mine has a twisted and pointing forward gill, I asked about it a week or so ago and I got a really simple but rather accurate response...

"You'll know when they are ill, they'll go off their food, don't worry about it"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back