Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Changing the water?

ss2463

Reaction score
So, right now, I've got two small (~3 in) axolotls in a 10 gallon not-cycled tank, where they've been for about a week. So I'm doing water changes more or less everyday (although I just got a test kit today, and the results seem to suggest I don't need to do it that often...)

My question is, do I take them out of the tank to do water changes? I've seen some places say no, it stresses them, but it seems to me like a big vacuum-type siphon chasing you around a relatively small tank, followed by a giant waterfall of new water would be way more stressful :-/

I have been netting them out into individual tupperware containers with fresh (dechlorinated) tap water. I kinda like it this way, because I can feed them pellets (they only manage to catch about 1 in every 3 or 4, so otherwise I'd have to spend A LOT of time sucking up uneaten food), and it's easier to catch the earthworms when they get away from me. And I can tell how much each of them is eating. Then I just net them back into the tank and toss the dirty water with the uneaten food. So is that bad?

HappySkittles

Reaction score
Your process is fine. I leave mine in but nothing wrong with taking them out.

What is "bad" is your tank. For little ones, 10 gallons is ok but at minimum you should really get a 20 gallon tank or some other larger tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1