Getting axolotls in a few days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any advice?

erin24

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am so excited! I will be receiving them soon, and I have had my tank up and running for a few weeks, everything is regulated and cycled. I have food, and im soooo ready. I just want to make sure I transition them properly. Should I let them float in the bag in the tank to adjust to the temperature? Also do I feed them immediately? And should I leave them in the dark for a while? I have floating plants as well as many other plants so the florescent light isn't that bright, however they do have a rather large cave to hide.
\
thank you for any info you may have, this is a rather difficult subject to try and look up on the internet.:confused:

Yes float the bag and keep adding water from the tank slowly so they get used to it. They probably wont eat right away. might be too stressed. i would start with the light on. i think starting them out in the dark and then putting a light on might freak them out.

right, great idea, should I maintain the usual temperature? I assume in the box might be warmer than the tank.

yea, just float the bag on the tank for a while, and the bag will slowly change to the tanks temp, then start adding water. Don't worry about changing the tanks temp. If you acclimate them slowly there shouldn't be any problems

my advice: be sure to upload some pics of the little guys :]
they're pretty easy to care for once you know a handful of things to do/ not to do.
keep water cool, regular water changes, and feed once a day (depending on food)
also make sure to suction out any poo you see. no gravel, and you said you have
plants and hiding cave so you're good to go :D
i would offer them food when they settle in the tank a little but don't expect them to eat.
sometimes i have to dangle a tiny worm in front of mine for like...5 minutes straight! and
just when i think he's not interested he chomps it haha. mine's about 3.5 inches now.
enjoy!

thanks you guys are awesome! im gonna post pics as soon as they come, should be any minute now XD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back