How to each axie to eat from hand?

kingy da killa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My axies wont eat from my hand because they wont swim to the top to get there blood worms

Also at the breeders house I went to, she would tickle the top of the water and they would start coming to the surface (thinking for food)

I want mine to learn this.

They are only 6 months old atm though..

Any help?

It's not really hard but it's also up to your axie to pick it up
The way I did it was using a pincet to position the worm underwater, and wiggle it infront of their nose
Make sure you keep a slight distance so they don't snap yet
Then when they see it they will try to catch it, and you can slowly move it up so they have to go up with you
After a while they will get on to this and surface (or atleast stick their heads up) even when they don't see a worm but just your hand

Using the tip of your finger to gently tap the water surface will also get their attention and after a while it becomes a signal that it's feeding time

Just don't give up, when it comes to food, they will learn it

I hand feed mine and when I put my hand over the water they will swim up to the surface, just hang an earthworm there and swing it a little for them to see it... what you can try is to get the worm closer for them to get used to be hand fed and then go moving up to the surface, they will know that when you are around that means food and follow...
Mine sometimes are lazy to swim up so I have to get the worms closer, some other days they will instantly swim up...

You can hand feed them earthworms, but I think it would be rather messy to feed bloodworms by hand. It took a couple of days for mine to get used to me, especially the one I got the other week. Ash swam away as soon as I put my hand in the tank!
I think we have siblings of the same bunch, aren't they cute! :happy:

I usually recommend not sticking your hands in the tank. I feed with long tongs to reduce the amount of time my skin spends inside the tank. By putting your hands in the tank all the time, you run a much higher risk of introducing contaminants, biological and chemical.

I feed mine via a turkey baster and they all swim to the surface - it's not something I taught them :(.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back