Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New sand and cloudy water

sammie68

Reaction score
Hi again everyone,

Well I've started setting up the 3ft tank for Taco. I've added sand after washing and rinsing, washing and rinsing, washing and rinsing, well you get the idea...anyway after adding it to the tank it is still rather cloudy. I'm just wondering how long it would take to settle down ? Should I let the filter run or will that stir it up even more ?

I've also tested the water and amonia is 0mg/l : nitrite (NO2) is 0mg/l : PH is neutral. I don't have a test kit for nitrate yet but if everything else is ok does that mean the nitrate would be stable as well ?

Here are some pics of the tank so far;

Thanks again for taking the time to read and help
Regards Sammie

Attachments

• cloudy tank 1.jpg
    cloudy tank 1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 3,347
  • cloudy tank 2.jpg
    cloudy tank 2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 3,813
  • cloudy tank 3.jpg
    cloudy tank 3.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,169

Loobylou

Reaction score
As long as the sand is thoroughly washed it should settle in an hour or so. When I give my tank a real good clean out or move around the ornaments, my sand often makes my water cloudy, but it settles pretty quick.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You can run your filter; it will help clear the water a bit. But you'll have to do a pretty good rinse of your filter media afterward. It will be pretty caked in 'dust'. Just take a big bowl of tank water, and rinse your filter media in that, and stick it back in the filter. Then you won't harm your cycle, and you'll remove materials that may harm your filter.

sammie68

Reaction score
Awesome thanks guys, It's still dusty in there so I'll turn on the filter and see what happens.

katie11122

Reaction score
Hey,

i had the same issue even after spend hours cleaningit! i had the filter running and kept replacing the medium as much as i could and on a weekly basis i replaced 80% of the water. it took about 4-5 water changes for the water to become really clear. it didnt worry my axies at all (kept a very close eye on the) so i wouldnt worry to much in time it will become clear. :)

mogs9999

Reaction score
I used cheap non toxic play sand , which tends to have lots of clay in it , but its cheap as. Chips, just try regular water changes and eventually all the clay will go from the sand and be left with good sand and good water,

Or if you used good quality sand it should settle after a bit

Try not to use a chemical to settle the tank as it will sit at the bottom and that where axololtl sspend most there time

sammie68

Reaction score
Well it's starting to look much better now guys, thanks for your advice. I changed the water each day and rinsed the media in the bucket of tank water. Lots and lots of dust came out when I did that. So I'm guessing I didn't wash the sand thoroughly enough.

theJATM

Reaction score
some sands create a fine dust that never really settle i found. it covers everything. but im not sure why.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1