Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Needs advice on axolotl egg

dippy11

Reaction score
just got an unwanted axolotl eggs from someone along with two babies. the babies died in the post as the container was sealed correctly and now im not sure if the eggs is ok. i can see the black axolotl in the middle of the egg but there is a cloud around it. is this normal or has that died as well. thank u sooo much x

Loobylou

Reaction score
Re: Needs adive on axolotl egg

Some eggs do look kind of cloudy because of dust etc in the water. As long as you can see the axie inside clearly the eggs should be ok.

Icarez

Reaction score
Not a smart move to ship juvies trough mail, I assume you ment "Wasn't" sealed correctly

dippy11

Reaction score
ive had babies in the post before and the sender is brill and never had a problem thanks for the advice ppl i really hope the egg is ok

Loobylou

Reaction score
If the egg is dead/infertile the whole thing goes cloudy and you just see white fuzz inside. I had a load of eggs last week and 2 of them died :(. The whole egg went cloudy. One hatched today as well which I wasn't expecting quite yet.

Axolotl eggs are usually fine through the post. The only problem I've found is when people send them slightly too close to the hatching date, as sometimes they can hatch early due to the heat in the post vans/sorting offices.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've shipped every life stage, and never had a loss.

I try not to ship small juveniles. I usually won't ship them before they've got back legs, as they're a little more fragile then, but I've shipped eggs on up through full-size adults before and never had a loss.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!