Question: Filters?

forester

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kat
Both of my filters died this week. I've been messing with them trying to restart them, but it isn't working. My 20 US gal tank has killed two filters in the last three months now, one of which I had already had for eight months with absolutely no trouble, and it's only a temporary tank! So while I'm trying to figure out what to do about that filter, my 40 US gal tank's filter died this morning. Any recommendations on filters?

By the way, could it be the sand in the tank? Before I added sand, I had no trouble with my first filter. It died a month after I added sand though.

it could be possible that some of the grains of sand are magnetic. if that's the case, they will stick to the impeller and cause excessive wear.

try running a magnet through the sand and see if anything sticks to it.

edit:

also make sure that the impeller sits flush in the housing and that there is nothing tangled around it.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll check that today and post the results.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back