Massive hole under chin....help please!

melfly

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi all

So I have a 3 inch albino juvie.
He's kept seperate as he has issues with swimming upside down in deep water (He doesn't grow too quick either)
This is managed by keeping him shallow.
This problem is not related to what has happened, just explains why he is in a tub at the moment.

Ok as i said he is kept in a tub....came home from work last Tuesday and he was out!
He had crawled about a foot and a half across a deep pile carpet.
He was still alive and i put him in water, I thought he wasn't going to make it but after a couple of days he pooped and started moving about again.
He'd not eaten after his escape.

I have now noticed a big hole under his chin. When he tries to eat it falls out of the hole.

Is this likely to regenerate? Shall I fridge and hope it improves? Shall I try to force feed somehow?? How???

Thank you so much, Sorry for the essay.

Mel
x

Im not too good with axies just yet, But Im sure if you could, a picture might help some people who can help you, best of luck =/

Thanks for replying
Sorry not got a pic. Lost my lead for the pc.

Basically its as you would imagine. A hole that food falls through.

He's not in bad condition, one leg will drop off at the knee, no signs of fungus.
A bit of skin shed, and a bit skinny now.
This is why i need to feed him...but how.

Fridge to slow matabolism and hope it heals so i can feed him?
I'm quite prepared to try and feed him somehow.

Mel

I'd try feeding something small like brine shrimp again, just because of the way they eat surely he should get some in his belly!

Edit: could you feed him with a pipette? Surely then some should go where it should and not out the hole :/

He's a bit big for bbs. I have some hatching soon so i can try it.

I just tryed to pippette him some bloodworm....I just made him angry....:(

I've left it in with him in the hope some of it gets where it needs to go.

I could do with bandaging it up somehow, doubt that would be possible and probably do more harm than good.

I dont want to lose him as clearly he is a fighter.

thanks for your reply.
Mel

Thats a good idea :eek: I read somewhere on how to forcefeed, if u have to, wrap him gently in a moist towel, and get someone to put a rubber spatcula in his mouth and turn it a bit so it opens, then u could use a pipette and feed him like lou suggested. It may make him a bit angry, and a bit scared of you for a bit. but at least he'll have some food in his belly? =/

Ok feeding him is not going to work.

So I'm just goung to have to fridge him and hope for the best......:(

Mel

What a nightmare!
I think you are doing all the right things, keep a really close eye on the hole.

Thanks Julia
Its hard not to...its huge, poor guy. (Guy happens to be his name actually, coz he's my little upside down guy :happy:)

I shall keep you all informed
Mel x

Hope the little guy is doing better, he sure is a fighter

Hello
Update on Guy.

So he still has a hole, it is healing and he is trying to eat.
I think he may have eaten a pellet or two so far and i give him frozen bloodworm.

Here is a pic of my awsome holy guy :)

Mel

Edit: it looks like his mouth is open...but thats his hole :(

Attachments

• Image2317.jpg
    Image2317.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 454
How strange, well done to you for keeping him alive. Well at least he doesn't have to open his mouth when he wants to eat!! Keep up the good work and hope it all ends well for you two.

Regards Neil

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back