The turkey baster

pent565

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So, I finally got one, since everyone raves about the wonderfulness of their cleaning capabilities, but I've been having a problem. The heavier waste drops back out of the baster into the tank as I try to remove it. Water remains in the baster, just not the waste particles.

Do I have a bad baster, or is there a way to do this that makes it work? I've been physically plugging the end of the baster to stop the backwash.

nope mine does this too!

The trick is to release the bulb slowly, so there always suction remaining while you lift the waste out.

That or turning the baster on its side wile you lift the poop so it can't escape works well for me.

haha you'll get the hang of it. I simply suck it up and then quickly turn the baster more horizontal or angled and remove it quickly. and yes they are the bees knees, so glad i have mine.

I have the same turkey baster technique.

I got mine from a Target lol!
I had same problem also, but I'm a pro now~
You will get used to it~

Lol, ok, so basically I'm just incompetent in the fine art of axolotl-basting. With practice and perseverance, I shall baste with the best of them! *dramatic pose*

I couldn't fing a turkey baster in a cheap shop so I had to end up buying one from a. Designer cookware shop, set me back £12
But I would still say it worth it to have poo free tank

I couldn't fing a turkey baster in a cheap shop so I had to end up buying one from a. Designer cookware shop, set me back £12
But I would still say it worth it to have poo free tank

I too am having trouble finding one,i have my family on the hunt,mainly because im a cheapskate!if not i'll be paying roughly the same price as you...

I got mine from dunelm they are cheap in there.

I too am having trouble finding one,i have my family on the hunt,mainly because im a cheapskate!if not i'll be paying roughly the same price as you...
have you tried ebay, for about 3/4 quid delivered

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back