Question: How many in a 20 gallon tall?

totallyrad

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hellooo fellow enthusiasts

So I have a 20 gallon tall measuring 24 in long x 17 tall x 12 wide.
I will be putting my newly arrived 3 inch axolotl in there soon but
I'd really like him/her to have a friend in there too.

Could I put two in one 20 gallon? I have good filtration or is it a matter
of space? I know they'd be fine as larvae but
how long will it be before they've outgrown a 20 gallon if they will.
I've read in a few threads that some
people have done this but just want input. I don't really want to sell
this tank and buy a bigger one so I may just be stuck with only one axy in this tank for now.

I'd use a 3 footer for 2 axies.

they don't need freinds, it'll be quite happy on it's own, you just can't tell because they can't frown (no eyebrows) or smile (no lips)

Bren

I have 2 axies in a 1 and a half foot tank, but its width and dimensions are bigger than a normal 3 foot tank so its ok they have enough room to avoid each other and get along together as well so yeah. Theyre fed every day and have a cycle on them so its all pretty good for them (this is their temporary home btw, until my 6 foot tank is re-available LOL)

A 20-tall would be a tight squeeze for two adults.

yeah you're probably right, would be kinda cramped for adults. argh i just got this tank too! lol
well I'm wondering if I shouldn't get another juvi and by the time they are 6 inches long I'll have a bigger tank for the two of them. hmmm

Lol thats why I just did a massive jump from a 10 to a 40 gallon, I figured I would get another one in the future and it would just be easier. Maybe you can do that or, if you do get a bigger tank, this 20 gallon can be used for quarintines or temporary housing type things

Tall tanks are only really good for tall animals :p axolotls need more floor space than anything. I think only one for that size tank is appropriate

haha tall animals :p yeah i wasn't thinking about floor space. duh.. well i went and looked at some new aquariums and the cheapest new 30 gallon was like 89 or so. and 40 gal was like 130. pfff

time to start looking on craigslist again lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back