Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hailea chillers?

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Hailea chillers? I'm considering buying the Hailae 150A to chill my 100L tank over the hot Aussie summer. I've found it on The Reef Shop website for $320... is this a good price?

Also how are they for reliability? I won't be here over the summer so I'm counting on my family to care for my baby dragon (< thats her nickname :D) and I want to eliminate heat as a risk factor.

blackdog

Reaction score
Why do you need a 150 for a 100 lt tank?

The 150 does up to 400 lt tank, and the 130 will do up to 300 lt

Having said that, they are the same price here - Chilling & Heating - Hailea Chillers - Guppy’s Aquarium Products Online - Hailea Chiller - which @ $295 is a little cheaper than you found

I use the 130 to chill my tank whih has about 150 lt in it, has worked fine.

They get mixed reveiws if you search around the net, and reality is they are an entry level chiller, but they have a warranty so if it fails early, so what? If it fails after it is out of warranty, they are cheap enough to replace every couple of years

I'm happy with my hailea

bren

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Oh well The Reef Shop doesn't sell the 130, plus I figure if I ever upgrade a slightly bigger chiller might be good.

Is Guppys reliable? I've heard some bad things about them from the people at my LFS.

lea

Reaction score
I got my filter from them and it hasnt missed a beat....works great. They delivered it to my door at 730am 2 days after I ordered it..

mthom211

Reaction score
A lot of their products are grey imports which is why they are so much cheaper. I also beleive that some of their products are made for use in Asia and have a eletricty need or something, can't rememebr what the proper name is, I think there are some discussions about their products on QLDAF they might get a bit heated when they are discussing them, I've had nothing but great service from them and none of my products have failed.

Mandy6

Reaction score
Wow to me that is a great price. I went to an aquarium place down here and they quoted me $1100 for a chiller and cannister filter for my 150l tank .-.

shells

Reaction score
Same I got mine from them also and haven't had any dramas. Best $$ I ever spent!

blackdog

Reaction score
Oh well The Reef Shop doesn't sell the 130, plus I figure if I ever upgrade a slightly bigger chiller might be good.

Is Guppys reliable? I've heard some bad things about them from the people at my LFS.

Really? Your LFS had bad things to say about an online retailer competitor who sells cheaper than them? Go figure, who'da thunk it?

:D

Guppies were fine for me.

The cheapest price is not the be all end all right?

The ruel of three, you can have quality, service, or the cheapest price - pick two, 'cos ya cant have all three!

* Buy from your LFS, get extra service, same quality (hailea) but probably pay a little more - if something goes wrong you may find it easier to fix face to face (but maybe not too...)

* Buy online, get better price, same quality, but realise the service may not be the same (bit slower, harder communication, perhaps harder to fix if there is a problem)

For me, i've purchased from guppys, and i've also purchased from the reef shop - both were easy to deal with, good communicators, and sent the goods fast.

Re problem fixing, i havent had a problem with eihter yet, so im not qualified to judge.

Bren

Blaze

Reaction score
Had mine running for over a year now and absolutely love it! Got is from Guppys and didn't have a problem with it whatsoever. Very recommended :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1