Hatchlets - are they too small...?

davybobmacca

Reaction score
Country
England
Hey there,

I recently bought some eggs from one of the lovely members of this forum :D

They arrived with me on the 22nd or 23rd September. All seems to have gone well and 2 "hatched" yesterday, 2 more last night and hopefully one more when I return home from work tonight - so they will be due a feed when I get there.

However, looking at lot of diaries and videos of other baby axolotls just hatched mine and Chris's seem very very small..? Most of what I have seen shows them looking like axolotls mine still look... like a long thin blob.

Is this just me being over-protective and silly or is there a likely cause of why they are so small?

Thanks,

Rach

Hatchlings are usually ~1cm long. How big are yours?

Also keep in mind that newly hatched axolotls lay on the bottom, on their side. It takes a few days before they start sitting upright.

Yeah they are around 1cm long, on the bottom, on their side.

I've just had a very reassuring message from said lovely member too.

I'm feeling a lot more at ease now.

Thank you so much!

I'm very new at this and so excited. But also very easily concerned as a part of it lol.

Feed 'em well, and they'll practically grow before your eyes!

Day 3 -

they're still very stick like. The 5th egg still hasn't hatched. Theyve been offered baby brine shrimp and i think they've eaten a couple possibly. Two look quite sad and two seem to have moved next to each other and are "spooning" for want of a better phrase.

can you see gills if you look really close? Or an arrow shaped head? Mine haven't hatched yet, and they display both of these.

No. This is what has been worrying me...

It could be that i don't know what to look for but idve thought that the head would be obvious.

They gills should be pretty obvious... I know mine have pretty clear head sections, and fan-like gills and they just hatched today. Yours might be pre-mature, or maybe its just hard to see...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back