Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can i put two in a 2ft tank?

Zenna

Reaction score
Ive got a decently big tank :) its about.. 20 - 25 gallons. anyways its 2 ft long, pretty wide and pretty tall :) can i fit my two big ones in it? :) they're both 6" - 7", and yeah. could I? :O if its 20 gallons, thats about 10 gals each :3 sooo ? :3 idk i think they'd have lotsa room :eek:

Jennistophales

Reaction score
I have my two in a 20 gallon long and its working out just fine. =]

I believe the dimensions are 30x12x16 inches.

yellowpebble

Reaction score
general rule is one axolotl per foot, so that is right on the mark :)

i have 4 in a 4 foot tank, so same ratio, and they are very happy. I wouldn't put in any more for water quality control though.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Tall tanks aren't as good as long tanks. The tall part will help you with having more volume of water for buffering your water quality, but adult axolotls don't really use the water column. They're more apt to be bottom dwellers.

Loobylou

Reaction score
I have a couple of really tall tanks, so I piled up rocks and wood and made little slopes so the axies use more of the tank. One of my adult axies never really swims (He's always had a dodgy foot and finds it a little difficult) but now he likes to crawl up the wood, launch himself off the stones and float to the bottom of the tank.

Zenna

Reaction score
haha thats cute :p Ummm My tanks actually a really decent size. if you guys want i can take a pic. ive got fish in it right now but i'd be moving them XP

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1