Bonjour! Hello! Willkommen! Moshi moshi!

UglyMugly

Reaction score
Country
United States
G'day, my name's Chelsea and I have two Ambystoma gracile, or Pacific Northwest Salamanders.

My two fellow, Friedrick & Gustave, came to me via Christmas tree. And they we'rent wrapped up underneath one.

Last year I was helping my mom pick up a tree, and the guys working the lot had something in a big bucket they were showing to the kids. I walked over and asked what was in there, and they told me there were two salamanders that had fallen out of one of the trees as they were unloading it from the truck!

I scooped my hand through the water (the poor guys had been swimming all day!) and fished them out. There they sat, blinking water off their eyes and tasting the air, in my hand. It was love at first sight! That and the tree lot guys were going to dump them in the pond at the park across the street the next day. The pond id a dreadful "tidy bowel" blue thing that is host to many flocks of geese and ducks. I new the little guys wouldn't last a day there.

That's the story of how I got my guys! I often refer to them as brothers, because they fell out of the same (family) tree. I've had them for almost a year now, and they seem to be doing alright. Within an hour of signing up here, I've already learned a TON of things I can do to make their lives better and more comfortable.

welcome, and that's quite an epic story how you got your salamanders.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back