Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamander or axolotl?

bwidjaja1

Reaction score
Hi, just this afternoon, I got some axolotls from someone of this site. I only the 'axolotl home and I realized that it might not be an axolotl... What is it?
The 'axolotls' fins are shrinking away. eyes are bulging. It might be a morphing salamander?
Here are some photos...

Attachments

• Salamander.jpg
    Salamander.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 6,072
  • Salamander 2.jpg
    Salamander 2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,952

HappySkittles

Reaction score
An axolotl is a kind of salamander

It looks like an axolotl...how long have you had it?

The Banana

Reaction score
Well axolotls are salamanders, and in Australia - they are the only salamanders availible.
That is definitely an axolotl, just one who is in terrible shape.

As for morphing, although rare - it does happen (I've had it happen to one of mine myself, just recently). It's very possible - my axie looked kinda like that.

Keep him/her in cool water, that looks like a good depth for now.
I would try to feed him/her up on earthworms, rather than pellets.. you can dig them from the garden if you don't use pesitcides/other chemicals. Just rinse, soak for a mintue, and feed.

Did your axie eat some of those pellets?

Hope this helps, and please forgive my typing.. on cousin's laptop, keys are in different postitions and spacing - keep pushing the wrong ones, ugh.

bwidjaja1

Reaction score
Oh really ? Ok than. I'll have to try help it. It looks like it's losing its fins :(

bwidjaja1

Reaction score
Can I stop it from morphing? I got it today from someone on this site. I thought it would be morphing... Can I stop it? If it does morph what do I do?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that the axolotl is not in the best of shape.
Read this link if you haven't already :- Axolotls - Housing in Captivity

Basically keep the water cool and clean with dechlorinated water, and ideally feed earthworms. It'll soon look better.
I can't really tell with the photo's if it is changing, but generally it will be less likely.

bwidjaja1

Reaction score
I've already read it :( As I said, I just got today in hope of getting my axie a buddy .

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I hate to sound like a broken record, but like everyone else has said, keep it cool and clean, and watch it for signs of continuing morphing. It may not morph, but you'll need to be prepared if it does. If it's already got bulging eyes and developing eyelids, it will probably continue to undergo metamorphosis. So you may be needing to house a terrestrial salamander.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
How big is it. It looks more like you received a very sick axolotl and not like it is metamorphosing. They do occasionally metamorphose but normally at subadult or adult size. Small juveniles don't metamorphose.

bwidjaja1

Reaction score
I hate to sound like a broken record, but like everyone else has said, keep it cool and clean, and watch it for signs of continuing morphing. It may not morph, but you'll need to be prepared if it does. If it's already got bulging eyes and developing eyelids, it will probably continue to undergo metamorphosis. So you may be needing to house a terrestrial salamander.

It's eyes are already bulging, but they are getting smaller? I didn't even know that was possible. I don't know what eyelids look like but sometimes, it looks like his eyes vanish and come back again. But I'm not sure if those are her eyelids... But she has been doing it less and less.

Also, some good news, she has eaten some pellets and some earthworms. Here previous owner said she hadn't eaten in three days so I suppose that's not long? Also, after continuously keeping her head out off the water, she seems to not like the air as much as her head is often underwater and she doesn't go near the small bit of land I gave to her :D These are good signs... right?

bwidjaja1

Reaction score
Here are some photos... Has she improved do you think ?

Attachments

• Photo0098[1].jpg
    Photo0098[1].jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 262
  • Photo0099[1].jpg
    Photo0099[1].jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 340
  • Photo0100[1].jpg
    Photo0100[1].jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 340

bwidjaja1

Reaction score
I didn't realize it was in poor condition :(
But the owner gave another one, that I think was in the same tank, and it was fine... I gave that to my friend because he wanted one and I didn't think he could take care of a sick one... So anything else I can do besides keeping the water clean and cool? It's sad watching her in this condition with short gills :(

bwidjaja1

Reaction score
My axolotl just ate a small worm and a pellet. It seems to only like worms so thanks for the tip . :) So, she hasn't stayed up in the air for more than a gulp (her head I mean) so I think she may be recovering... :D I'm going to get more worms tomorrow (I have a small supply of earthworms..) and I'm going to try feed her everyday because she looks rather thin... VERY thin actually. Would that be ok? She's about 16cm so shes an adult... right?

pent565

Reaction score
feed her as much as she'll take at this point. Her eyes might have been bulging due to excessive thinness/swelling, as it looks like the gills are re-growing.

bwidjaja1

Reaction score
feed her as much as she'll take at this point. Her eyes might have been bulging due to excessive thinness/swelling, as it looks like the gills are re-growing.

Right, ok than. Only earthworms right?

yellowpebble

Reaction score
pellets are just as good nutritionaly, but they prefer worms and its best to give her what she will take at this point. Good to see she is recovering

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1