Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Article: Pickerel Frogs

Nowicki418

Reaction score
Interesting, I didn't know pickerel frogs were toxic. How do they produce this? Your article implies that they have a way of synthesizing it on there own, unlike posion dart frogs and such. I'm curious as to how this is done.

Its odd that you say pickerel frogs are more common than leopards, this is not the case in most states around the great lakes area. Leopards are by far much more common here. Hmmm, I really need to go herping down south for once. :eek:

Another interesting thing is that leopard frogs are a common species to see on the animal trade as both pets and labratory supply animals. I wonder why the pickerels don't get this kind of attention?

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Pickerel frogs are likely not used in large numbers because they're toxic [that latter feature is mentioned in field guides 50 years or more old]. You can keep large numbers of leopard frogs in a single holding tank. Do that with pickerel frogs, or mix them with leopards, and you'll likely have a lot of DEAD frogs.

Amphibians in general are toxic. It's a matter of what ways they are toxic. Many of the most toxic contain alkaloids in the skin, which derive from alkaloids in prey invertebrates, which in turn obtain them from plants. Many other toxins are produced by the amphibian. Toads can produce massive amounts of serotonin - a neurotransmitter, but one which is lethal in you swallow large amounts of it. They, and many other species, produce a plethora of toxic chemicals. You don't have to be a poison frog eating toxic bugs to be toxic.

Nowicki418

Reaction score
Pickerel frogs are likely not used in large numbers because they're toxic....Toads can produce massive amounts of serotonin - a neurotransmitter, but one which is lethal in you swallow large amounts of it. They, and many other species, produce a plethora of toxic chemicals.

I thought they all stored harmful chemicals in granular glands or similar structures. Massive amounts of serotonin, very cool! I'll have to google this and read up on it more. ( Course I always seem to hit those darn scholarly articles that you have to pay for )

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Thanks for that link. They have always been my favorite native frog. Their toxic nature is what caught my attention as a kid.

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for your comment; Here is an article on the nature of some of their secretions (novel; peptides of possible medicinal use). Not much on the actual source of the toxins ("produced" used in the references I've seen). However, long term captives fed on commercial insects retain toxicity, which seems to indicate that toxins are produced w/o using invert derived chemicals.

Thanks for the observation re population size; I should have mentioned that this varies within range;

I agree with the reader who mentioned the toxins as a reason they are not used much in pet/lab trade. They are often high strung as well, more so than w/c leopard frogs in my experience.

Hope you get out for to look around, Best, Frank

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed the article, best, Frank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1