Eggs hatching, no brine shrimp yet, help?

pent565

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So, I didn't expect my eggs to hatch for another couple of days. They've hatched. What if my brine shrimp don't hatch fast enough? Can i feed mosquito larvae? I always assumed that would be ideal, but looking at how small they are, I'm a little nervous about it now.

I am in the exact same boat... I used the boiled egg trick posted somewhere on these forums (blended with dechlorinated water until liquid, and their little bellies are looking full... well fullish. I'm hoping its enough to tide them over till these damned bbs hatch.

Boiled egg trick? Do you boil an egg, remove egg yolk, then water down and feed?

HERE is the boiled egg thread, was quite informative.

I used the boiled egg method with Betta (Siamese Fighting Fish) fry, they ate it - but it was very messy, and fouled water quickly. I think I put too much in, if you decide to use boiled egg yolk - watch how much you put in.

On the brine shrimp - is it heated? BBS hatch faster when in warmer water.

I'm pretty sure I read that larave don't eat for the first few days - but please, please don't take my word for that. I'll do a search now to back it up.

I think its the first 24-48 hours, depending on temp. Yeah, I started my brine shrimp in warm water, then put them directly on top of the heater for a quick hatch.

Okay don't worry! They WONT require food for 24-72 hours!! That's PLENTY of time to set up your brine shrimp hatchery! A good trick to make it go heaps faster is put your hatchery in a small tank or a large pot with a aquarium heater set at 28 the optimal setting. I have mine in my tiny spare bathroom with the heater on and its so hot in there it keeps the temp at 29-30 and they hatch in 10 hours! It works for me but i don't recommend you go any hotter than 28 like recommended by other people. Mine works but i wouldn't want to recommend you do it and they die or don't hatch from being to hot.

Also another thing to note is larvae don't always have open mouths when hatched! It may take 24-72 hours from their mouths to even open, and there has been story's on here where baby's have lived for 5+days without food when unexpected hatching had taken place. So dont worry they will be fine :D

Ditto for everyone else saying it.....They won't require food for at least 24hrs.

Have you tried contacting any local pet stores? 2 of mine keep BBS on hand.. it's VERY handy. One of them also keeps daphnia.

I agree with the fouling of water, I did a complete water change after to avoid bacteria. I checked with NL Jungle and they don't have Daphnia or hatched BBS they said, haven't tried pets unlimted because I would be surprised if they did... You're lucky if they have crickets most times.
I'm happy to hear about the lack of urgency over not having the bbs already hatched, I had panicked and tried to boiled egg thing and luckily it seems to have only positive results but I don't like risking it with these little guys.

They really should be fine!
They usually wont eat until the third day even when food is offered.
With my second batch they didn't eat until 3-4 days old. :)

The other option is to post in the wanted Canada section here.. there may just be someone near you with BBS.

You should be able to hatch BBS by the time their mouths open and yolks are dry though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back