Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

40cm cube

mthom211

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting a 'lotl once the floor has been fixed, I'm getting a 40cm cube, will I be able to fit two in? I'm thinking only one but I'm not sure, it fits the guideline of 1 per 40 litres, it has slightly less floor space than a standard two foot tank.

Matt

Mandy6

Reaction score
Its only just over a foot long, and length is far more important than height. To be honest I wouldn't even really want to put one axie in there. I definetely wouldn't put two.

The Banana

Reaction score
Oh Matt - what am I going to do with you? I think you've asked me this like 7 times now! Each time forgetting you had already asked. :rolleyes:

I don't think there will be enough space for two, maybe one - but like what Mandy said, it would be a little squeezy, in my opinion.

Could you maybe upgrade? What happened to the 3 tank thing, anyway?

Oh.. you could raise them, when it gets bigger, send it to me, and get another littly for the tank. How about it? :p

mthom211

Reaction score
Sorry I forgot...

Its got the added depth at the back as well, or is lenght more important than width as well? I'm very much a begginer.

I only want something small so I can cool it with a fan, can't afford two chillers. Mum is seriosly cnsidering me getting a rack :) S oI can have more than 3 tanks!!!!! I think I have 4 at the moment.

Giles

Reaction score
Got to agree with Mandy on this one, I personally wouldnt be happy with putting 1 in there, they can grow to 30 cm long so thats no where near big enough. I have 2 in a 100cm x 41cm tank and i still reckon that a little two small, mine enjoy swimming around and exploring. The best thing to work by is if you cant afford a decent size tank and equipment, your not ready to keep Axolotls (yet) ;) .

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the others, I would say it is too small for one.
A larger tank will be easier to maintain, and I suspect keep cooler.

mthom211

Reaction score
I might try get a shallower but longer tank then, I can afford it, I just thought a smaller tank would have been easier to keep cool with a fan but by making it shalllower and longer should make it easier by increasing surface area :)

yellowpebble

Reaction score
even if you can afford it, second hand all the way! tanks are expensive, but you can pick up some bargains on ebay and just around town, most households would have had goldfish at some point. Lots of people have them lying around.

The Banana

Reaction score
I remember reading that Les picks up his second hand tanks at tips/dumps... I think he said they are only a few dollars? Worth a lookie.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1